Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How does This Work?  (Read 2540 times)

jd2b06

• View Profile
How does This Work?
« on: January 18, 2006, 06:15:58 AM »
Ok please no one take offense I am purely curious.  I didn't know that you could get your law degree online... and further that it won't be honored by the American Bar Association.  That being said, how the heck do you practice law if the ABA which is the governing institution for allowing an individual to legally practice law... does not honor your school?

Bobo

• View Profile
Re: How does This Work?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 09:54:08 AM »
We discussed this topic a bit in the following thread:

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/students/index.php/topic,3288.15.html

Basically, in some states you don't have to go to an ABA school.  At the top of the list is California, which (I think) is the main state that will allow you to take the bar after taking the baby bar and graduating from a non-ABA approved school.

States where you can take the bar without having graduated from a non-ABA school according to the thread above include: Mass, NH, VT, W-VA, Alabama, Tenn and Georgia.  I think for some of these states you had to graduate from specific non-ABA schools that are approved by the state bar.

All in all your choices are very limited, but they are there.

Wild Jack Maverick

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I think I know the formula..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 06:59:55 PM »
California has most or all of the United States DL law schools. The requirement to practice law in California (and some other states) is that the law schools must be approved or accredited by the  State Bar, not the ABA. However, the students are required to register with the state bar and make various appearances in California.

After practicing law for maybe 5 or 7 years, a lawyer might "grandfather" into another state.

There are various options for attaining a license to practice:
A few states allow apprenticeships instead of law school--after a few years of apprenticeship at a law firm, the applicant must pass the bar. I have also read somewhere that some states require either ABA accreditation or the approval of the state supreme court.

There are also a few who study law through international DL law schools, then make up the difference at an ABA school, those of which usually require an additional 2 years for the JD. (Doesn't seem as if it would make sense to study law 6 years for a 3 year degree.)

http://www.aals.org/

"I enjoy being in school. I've learned so much already, with taking economics and law, and I have marketing and statistics coming up next."

duckasourus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 04:47:26 PM »
Non ABA schools are a waste of time and money.  True you can practice in California but you have to pass 2 bars (baby bar and normal) and the pass rates are terrible.  Even if you do pass good luck getting a job as its considered a fake law degree to most people.  If you were hiring would you hire someone from a school recognized by the ABA or take someone who couldnt get into the worst of the worst.

elemnopee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 11:25:40 PM »
The most you could hope for is a paralegal job.

Mesquite

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 07:43:58 PM »
Or head of a federal agency such as the Office of Thrift Supervision

http://www.ots.treas.gov/docs/7/77183.html

"Mr. Gilleran graduated from Pace University in 1955, received a law degree from Northwestern California University in 1996 and is a member of the California Bar Association."

elemnopee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 01:39:46 PM »
or troll message boards

bennybm

• View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 02:14:58 PM »
Doesn't look like he got the job because of his online law degree.

"Prior to becoming OTS director, Mr. Gilleran served as chief executive of the Bank of San Francisco from 1994 until it was sold to First Banks America Inc. in December 2000.

His previous regulatory experience includes serving as superintendent of the California State Banking Department from 1989 to 1994. He also served as Chairman of the Conference of State Bank Supervisors in 1993-94 and as a member of its Bankers Advisory Council until 2000. Mr. Gilleran, a certified public accountant, began his career in 1958 with the accounting firm of KPMG Peat Marwick and served as the firmís managing partner for Northern California from 1977 to 1987, as well as partner in charge of the western region banking practice."
In - GSU, UGA
Out - UF
Withdrawn - Memphis, Kentucky, South Carolina, Mercer, Samford, FSU

Mesquite

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 07:52:32 PM »
Doesn't look like he got the job because of his online law degree.

And Bill Clinton didn't get his job as President because of his Yale law degree. It was a combination of factors, but the I'm sure the degree helped.

If I were 22 and just out of undergraduate school, I wouldn't consider an online law degree.  I would go to the best ABA accredited school I could get into. 

If I were doing a DL law degree and interested in joining a big law firm, I would go to several firms beforehand and ask them if they would hire someone with an online degree.  If the answers were "Not only no, but H$%# no," I would forget the whole thing. 

elemnopee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 05:14:18 PM »
Comparing Yale to a DL law school, that's funny.