Law School Discussion

Rankings/Transfer...

Rankings/Transfer...
« on: January 14, 2006, 12:16:04 PM »
I recently found out I was #3 out of 155 in my first year class, which is the top 2%. I go to John Marshall in Atlanta, which has only been ABA provisionally accredited for a year.

I wanted to get on this board and see if anyone had some advice on if I will be able to transfer, and if so, what tier or quality school would consider me. #3 is good, but after all, this school isn't exactly Harvard.I know transfering is highly competitive. I want to try to get into Georgia State, but I know their retention rate is high.

If anyone has info/ideas about schools and their retention rates, etc, it's much appreciated.

Re: Rankings/Transfer...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 12:18:13 PM »
Sorry, I should have mentioned I am a 1L and last semester was my first...

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 11:22:24 PM »
You can probably get better answers here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transferapps

S|

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 11:35:12 PM »
AC, for how much you were pushing Case last year I cannot believe you're transfering :P

EDIT: Congrats btw. #5 in your class, very impressive.

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 11:44:18 AM »
I still love Case.  It's flat out insane to pass up the opportunity to go to a top 10 school though.  CWRU v. any school ranked 30 or below, and I'll troll hard and fast for Case.  After a certain point though... well I guess we all have our price.

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 12:13:18 PM »
I recently found out I was #3 out of 155 in my first year class, which is the top 2%. I go to John Marshall in Atlanta, which has only been ABA provisionally accredited for a year.

I wanted to get on this board and see if anyone had some advice on if I will be able to transfer, and if so, what tier or quality school would consider me. #3 is good, but after all, this school isn't exactly Harvard.I know transfering is highly competitive. I want to try to get into Georgia State, but I know their retention rate is high.

If anyone has info/ideas about schools and their retention rates, etc, it's much appreciated.

I'm curious... what was your GPA?

nate

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 12:41:55 PM »
looking at transferapps, i think you might want to consider aiming a lot higher than tier 3 or georgia state.

i would apply to georgetown early action ASAP. you have a VERY good shot. though, i have to admit the fact that your school was so recently certified might hurt. still, top 2% is amazing and should give you a very good chance, especially if you apply sooner rather than later. you might also want to apply to any other T14's that have early action, and especially some schools ranked around 20.

if your ranking stays as high after next semester, i would probably then send a transfer application to every T14 school. that's just me though.

either way, congrats on the major accomplishment. as much as i hate the prestige whoring, your hard work has really paid off. should you transfer, you're looking at guaranteed employment (something which is, unfortunately, often lacking in lower tiered schools) and at least double the salary you might have otherwise made. even if money isn't your game, it will give you a lot more career flexibility.

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 02:13:46 PM »
Thanks for the advice yall.

My gpa was a staggering 2.66 haha. My school doesn't use the curve to grade, go figure why it makes a difference. But, either way I still beat the other 152 chumps in my class.

T14 huh? Maybe what I just did really hasn't sunk in yet...is that really within grasp? B/c if so I'm definitely going to start going to church more.

nate

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 02:22:42 PM »
T14 huh? Maybe what I just did really hasn't sunk in yet...is that really within grasp? B/c if so I'm definitely going to start going to church more.

well, sign up at transferapps.com and check out the database. it looks like people from tier 3's were transferring to T14, and their rankings were somewhat lower than yours. if you don't have a chance at T14, you almost certainly do at a T25. send out a ton of apps if you need to, it's worth it and you'll definitely get in somewhere.

EDIT: one more thing...just be careful that it doesn't go to your head for next semester- i don't mean cockiness, but overconfidence. i hear some people get so confident that they'll do well again that they don't end up as high after second semester. of course, you could just as easily be one of those people who "gets" law school exams. that's probably the case seeing how very well you did, so that's probably another reason to transfer up. why not be near the top of your class at a top ranked school?