Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I hate working hard and reaping little  (Read 857 times)

jetcat33

• View Profile
I hate working hard and reaping little
« on: January 14, 2006, 03:24:16 AM »
I am an average student. My LSAT was the average for the school to which I applied. My grades are more or less average.

That is fine. I enjoy law school and understand that exams are important but will not matter once I have a few years of working in the real world behind me.

But what ticks me off is that for some exams, I spend hours on end studying, and bomb it despite believing it was going to be the breakout A grade. Case in point: Con law.

I do well with take home exams. It takes me forever to write - perhaps longer than for any other peer. But once I'm done, it's good and mostly accurate.
In Con law, I did the readings, did the briefs, and participated. When I took the take home exam, I wrote succinctly, IRAC-ed, and leafed through the entire book to make sure I covered all issues and addressed the right cases.

Today the grades came through. With horror - or at least more than average disappointment, I saw that I received a C - our average hovers somewhere around B, B-. C is the worst yet, and what makes it harder to bear is the time I invested.

I decided to check out the law discussions to lighten up and put the world into perspective, and so far it has worked. But I am still ticked off! If I had a chance to take the Con law exam again, I have no idea what I would do differently! It would come very handy to hear that the Registrar erred during grade input.

But I guess this type of experince is a rite of passage and something everyone goes through. It's still a pain.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

jetcat33
 >:(

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I hate working hard and reaping little
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 02:31:27 PM »
I was surprised about one of my grade too.  I was so sure that I was going to get some form of A on it, but NOPE.  No A.  I email the person who handle grades to make sure she didn't have any typo (nothing to lose, worth trying I guess), and she replied saying....  nope..no mistake.   :o

No big deal, at least it is an average grade.  I'll just move on.

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
Re: I hate working hard and reaping little
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 07:50:54 PM »
You gotta remember that often the difference between grades is razor thin. For instance in my civpro class the difference between a b- and an a- was 1.5 issues. This exam required us to resolve 4 motions including a moderately complex SJ motion. I imagine that take home exams are even tighter. Most folk write near perfect exams, but invariably some spot an issue that others missed or notice a subtle element of the fact pattern that completely changes the analysis. Sometimes this is because they are smarter, better prepared, etc, but often it is a matter of luck in that they happened to spot something others missed.  So don't beat yourself up over it, you are in the range of decent grades and you are learning the material. Thatís the most important part. Once you get out and practice your skills, work ethic, etc will matter much more then whether you got an C or an A in your first semester of Civpro.