Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Financial Aid/Law School Admissions Chances  (Read 775 times)

uamike81

• View Profile
    • Email
Financial Aid/Law School Admissions Chances
« on: January 13, 2006, 02:04:13 AM »
Hey everyone, new poster here.

I am curious as to whether or not anyone has any insight on this matter.  I am in the process of applying to law schools, but retaking the February 4th LSAT to try to improve my score.

I was recently told that my law school tuition/books/etc would be completely paid for by family and that I did not need to be concerned with financial aid.  Specifically, is there any way that not needing financial aid from a school increases my chances of acceptance?  There has been some discussion of this and I am rather curious.  It seems that if a school doesn't make a financial investment in you, they may be more likely to admit you, assuming your scores/grades are acceptable.  Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks to anyone who can offer some input, regardless of whether or not it is speculation.

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Financial Aid/Law School Admissions Chances
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 02:42:13 AM »
I can only give advice based on my archaeic involvement with the application process 2 years ago. Every law school application I filled out (i applied to 12 schools in NY and NJ), they asked nothing about financial aid. In fact, the financial aid application is a whole separate process. I even remember that after I was accepted to a couple places, I received notices in the mail about filling out the financial aid application. They are two totally separate processes.

So, to answer your question - Sorry, but i don't think it would improve your chances. Most schools have private lenders they go through anyways. so students, aren't borrowing from the law school; they are borrowing from say The Access Group or Sallie Mae. The schools only certify the amounts to those third party lenders taking into acount tuition, books, cost of living, etc.

Hope this helps.
check the footnotes ya'll

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 04:20:31 AM »
I think the only way it may help is if you attach your tuition check to the application. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 06:53:43 AM »
No, it doesn't.  I think most,if not all, law school separate their admissions and financial aid depts.  You're application for admission is considered separately from your app for financial aid.  The only time the two sort of mingle is in offering scholarship, or if a needy applicant asks for more, and the school has a particular interest in that candidate.  Then the admissions committee might make a couple phone calls, to see if they can make their school more attractive to the applicant.

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 07:09:09 PM »
No, it doesn't.  I think most,if not all, law school separate their admissions and financial aid depts.  You're application for admission is considered separately from your app for financial aid.  The only time the two sort of mingle is in offering scholarship, or if a needy applicant asks for more, and the school has a particular interest in that candidate.  Then the admissions committee might make a couple phone calls, to see if they can make their school more attractive to the applicant.

I believe its called sarcasm Jacy.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 12:29:05 PM »
I wasn't replying to zemog...I was replying to the OP.  ::)

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 01:08:17 AM »
I wasn't replying to zemog...I was replying to the OP.  ::)

my bad.

nate

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 01:25:12 AM »
No.
GW

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
  • My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 12:22:26 PM »
I smell a troll . . .
GPA - 2.095 (It was a long time ago and I wasn't trying.)
LSAT - 161

In - Suffolk, New England School of Law
Out - BC, Northeastern
Pending - Nothing pending . . . now what?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 06:00:34 PM »
I smell a troll . . .

Why?  People ask this question more often then you'd think over on the prelaw board.