Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What to wear?  (Read 1239 times)

bennybm

• View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
What to wear?
« on: January 12, 2006, 02:53:59 PM »
I know this will seem silly, but what do people wear to class?  I am currently getting my MBA, and anyone that dresses more casual than khakis and a polo gets dirty looks.  Similar experiences in law school?
In - GSU, UGA
Out - UF
Withdrawn - Memphis, Kentucky, South Carolina, Mercer, Samford, FSU

DanteHicks

• View Profile
Re: What to wear?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 02:56:21 PM »
T-shirts, shorts, and sandals seem to be the norm at my school with a few clowns who get dressed up.

8)
The world is my garbage can.

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 03:58:02 PM »
People dress pretty nicely at my school, I think. I mean, people aren't wearing shirts and ties, but the girls dress nicely, and most guys are dressed decently too (collared shirts, etc.). At least at my school, everyone seems to look pretty good -- they realize that image is a big part of being a lawyer. I'm at a T-4 with a strong local reputation. Most of us are going to be practicing in the same city, so we realize that it's important to not develop a bad reputation now.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 04:45:23 PM »
It ranges from jeans and t-shirts to dressy casual.  Some people dress up on a regular basis, but that's more personal style.  This whole "let's have a good reputation by dressing up for our 8 am class" is just stupid.  No one comes to class in PJs or scrubs, but if someone did once in a great while, no one would care or think anything of it.  Now dressing like a total slob or completely inappropriately everyday is another story, but that doesn't happen were I'm at.

VCartman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 07:23:32 PM »
Bennybm, where did you get your MBA? (I got my MBA at a T3; people usually dressed "business casual"ly since we were all coming from work...)

ApproachTheBench

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 07:53:01 PM »
I understand you're nervous, but seriously man- wear whatever you want.  I don't like the idea of dressing nicely to impress your fellow classmates, that seems silly.  Wear what you want, just make sure to bathe regularly and nobody should have a problem with you (and if they do, did you really want to be friends with them anyways?)

My wife just said "Teddy you're dumb, you're supposed to dress nice" but, again, I think she's waaaaaay off.
Save time, save money, find a summer job at http://www.approachthebench.com

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 10:04:52 AM »
At my school you get the full range, and I would generally say that the people who dress up all the time are looked down upon more than the people who are regularly dressed like slobs.

ApproachTheBench

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 10:11:22 AM »
At my school you get the full range, and I would generally say that the people who dress up all the time are looked down upon more than the people who are regularly dressed like slobs.

Yeah, whatever you do, please don't wear a pink shirt with a popped collar.  I see too many of those on a day to day basis.
Save time, save money, find a summer job at http://www.approachthebench.com

BigPimpinBU

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 10:47:46 AM »
It depends a lot on where you go. I have some friends at a T2 in New York, where they all wear more or less whatever they want, including girls who wear pajama pants and flip flops. (ugh, leave that s**t in your sorority). At BU it's a lot of guys in diesel jeans and nice shirts/sweaters. Many of the girls try to look nice. It's not at all formal though - more like what you would wear to a lounge or something.

S|

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 11:01:37 AM »

Yeah, whatever you do, please don't wear a pink shirt with a popped collar.  I see too many of those on a day to day basis.

Ha, ha. It wouldn't be funny if it weren't so true.