Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: is career services really as bad as i keep reading?  (Read 10401 times)

snobord99

is career services really as bad as i keep reading?
« on: January 12, 2006, 02:02:50 AM »
as the title states...i see about 90% of the reviews given on career services are negative...is it really that bad?  any reviews anyone can spare would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance!

Brisco

• View Profile
Re: is career services really as bad as i keep reading?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 10:42:37 PM »
the entire career services office resigned (I assume were asked to resign or be fired) over christmas break

snobord99

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 01:25:14 PM »
OMG, is this for real???

snobord99

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 01:25:46 PM »
o, and thanks for replying to this 1L-to-be  :)

onehandedreader

• Sr. Citizen
  • Balzac, Jaws of Death
    • View Profile
    • how real can one keep it?
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 01:31:05 PM »
the entire career services office resigned (I assume were asked to resign or be fired) over christmas break
OMG, is this for real???

yeah, it's for real.  last semester, somebody wrote a pretty scathing piece on career services for the school paper, naming names and everything.  all of it was true, so most of the people targeted by the piece resigned.  now they've got a whole new staff, that's only slightly more helpful.

the problem, however, isn't really the staff so much as the way the office works.  there's an online job board where employers can post ads, but the cs staff doesn't go out and solicit employers like they should.  the cs office at my undergrad, for example, would go out and find as many employers as possible, and then when one of them hired one of our students, the head of cs would stay in touch and continue getting that company to hire from our school/department.

essentially, usdcs will edit your resume and give you access to classified ads, but other than that you're on your own.   
www.antihumanity.com
how real can one keep it?

snobord99

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 05:59:55 AM »
OMG, is this for real???

yeah, it's for real.  last semester, somebody wrote a pretty scathing piece on career services for the school paper, naming names and everything.  all of it was true, so most of the people targeted by the piece resigned.  now they've got a whole new staff, that's only slightly more helpful.

the problem, however, isn't really the staff so much as the way the office works.  there's an online job board where employers can post ads, but the cs staff doesn't go out and solicit employers like they should.  the cs office at my undergrad, for example, would go out and find as many employers as possible, and then when one of them hired one of our students, the head of cs would stay in touch and continue getting that company to hire from our school/department.

essentially, usdcs will edit your resume and give you access to classified ads, but other than that you're on your own.   

argh...well that's not cool...o well, still not enough for me to not consider being usd c/o '09...thanks for the updates  :)

jwaxjwax

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 02:05:42 PM »
This year they tried to revamp, hiring some new employees, and basically admitting that they sucked in the past. I've had an extremely mixed experience. One of the new ladies is extremely helpful, and wants to do anything she can to help. However, I went in twice to find out about clinics, which have a classroom component and also place you in a related part-time legal position, and they almost seemed resentful that I came in, acting very dismissive ("are you sure you couldn't find out what you needed online?")

Still, the professors are mostly excellent, and to me that's a lot more important.

jghall00

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 06:23:03 PM »
Is the text of the letter that caused the employees to resign available online somewhere?  If not, can someone post it?  I'm curious to see what issues were raised.  Looks like I'll be attending USD this fall.  Housing is a biiitch.  My wife is already freaking out.

sdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 01:24:50 AM »
I do not have the letter but here is the most current email (cut down on size) they send alumni for jobs.  Great school but the career services is bad.                                       ALUMNI JOB NEWSLETTER

University of San Diego School of Law                             April 27, 2006                 

CAREER SERVICES HOURS: The Career Services Office is open Monday, Thursday and Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Tuesday from 9:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Wednesday from 10:30 to 6:00 p.m.  

INTERCOLLEGIATE JOB BANK:  USD School of Law Career Services subscribes to the "Intercollegiate Job Bank" through Brigham Young University.  By accessing the Web site below and entering the user name and password provided, you have immediate, on-line access to attorney job bulletins from law schools across the country.  The Website is:  www.law2.byu.edu/Career_Services/alumni-job.htm.

#2894    (NEW)   Received: April 24, 2006   San Diego, CA  

Title of Position:      Associate      To Apply:   Send cover letter, resume & references to:
Employer Category:   Law Office            Email: jacksong@wilsonelser.com
Closing Date:      Until filled            
Experience Level:   2+ years               
Salary:         D.O.E.          

RESPONSIBILITIES/QUALIFICATIONS:  Wilson, Elser, Moskowitz, Edelman & Dicker, LLP is hiring an associate with two plus years of experience.  Located within congenial yet professional work group, this third-year associate position is part of a team which includes one rainmaking partner, two senior associates, and four paralegals. The successful candidate has civil litigation experience, excellent oral and written communication skills, computer savvy, and an affable disposition. Trial experience is a plus; experience in personal injury, toxic tort, automotive law and/or construction defect a plus.  For more information visit the firmís website: www.wilsonelser.com.

#2893    (NEW)   Received: April 24, 2006   San Diego, CA  

Title of Position:      Associate      To Apply:   Send cover letter and resume to:
Employer Category:   Law Office            Erica Zastrow
Closing Date:      Until filled            Email: ejz@varnerbrandt.com
Experience Level:   2+ years               

RESPONSIBILITIES/QUALIFICATIONS:  Varner & Brandt LLP, a well established AV-rated 13+ attorney firm, seeks an associate with 2+ years civil litigation experience to work in a dynamic business, real estate and labor & employment department also sought. Strong academic and writing skills required.  For more information visit the firmís website at: www.varnerbrandt.com.

#2888    (NEW)   Received: April 20, 2006   San Diego, CA  

Title of Position:      Attorney         To Apply:   Send cover letter and resume to:
Employer Category:   Law Office            The Boss Law Firm, APLC
Closing Date:      Until filled            Fax: (858) 444-3817
Experience Level:   0+ years               Email: mallen@dbosslawfirm.com

RESPONSIBILITIES/QUALIFICATIONS:  A real estate firm near Mira Mesa has an immediate opening for a dynamic, hardworking, self-motivated CA bar licensed attorney to join its team.  Must be able to work independently & handle established case load. Good communication skills & strong work ethic required.

#2886       Received: April 19, 2006   San Diego, CA  

Title of Position:      Contract Attorney   To Apply:   Direct cover letter, hourly rate, and resume to:
Employer Category:   Law Office            Linda M. Cuny-Smith, Esq.
Closing Date:      Until filled            Law Office of Linda M. Cuny-Smith
Experience Level:   2-3 yrs               12625 High Bluff Drive, Suite 203
Salary:         Hourly rate D.O.E.         San Diego, CA 92130
                           Fax: (858) 777-3675                 

RESPONSIBILITIES/QUALIFICATIONS:    The Law Office of Linda M. Cuny-Smith is looking for a contract attorney with 2-3 years of experience in corporate transactional law.

#2885                                              Received: April 19, 2006                                                      San Diego, CA

Title of Position:      Attorney         To Apply:    Submit cover letter & resume to:
Employer Category:   Private Business            Fax: (619) 294-6005
Closing Date:      Until Filled            Email: brian@firstcalco.com   
Experience Level:   0+ years            
Salary:         Free office space & secretarial assistance      

RESPONSIBILITIES/QUALIFICATIONS:  First California Funding Group, Inc., an established estate and financial planning firm, is looking for an attorney to associate with them on an informal basis.  They will provide free office space and legal secretarial assistance in return for consultations and advice you provide to their paralegals in the preparation of Living Trusts and other estate matters.  They may also have some real estate and corporate work available for which they would compensate you directly for.  More information about the company can be found on its website at: www.firstcalco.com.

#2884                                                  Received: April 19, 2006                                San Diego, CA

Title of Position:      Attorney         To Apply:    Submit cover letter & resume to:
Employer Category:   Private Business            Email: mark0902@gmail.com
Closing Date:      ASAP                
Experience Level:   Not Stated            
Salary:         $300 for the job         

RESPONSIBILITIES/QUALIFICATIONS:  A small San Diego Elderly Home Care agency is looking for an attorney to review its contracts and legal documents.  They are willing to pay $300 for the review of these documents.  For more information contact Lena Recht, President of Loving Home Care at (858) 733-3420.

#2882                                                  Received: April 19, 2006                                San Diego, CA

Title of Position:      Attorney         To Apply:    Submit cover letter, resume & writing sample to:
Employer Category:   Law Firm            Fax: 619-236-1949
Closing Date:      Until Filled             Email: page@tbmlawyers.com
Experience Level:   1-4 years            

RESPONSIBILITIES/QUALIFICATIONS:  Thorsnes, Bartolotta, McGuire, which specializes in personal injury, medical malpractice, civil litigation, products liability, eminent domain, and construction defect, is hiring an attorney with one to four years experience in civil litigation.  An ideal candidate will have excellent oral advocacy, law and motion, discovery and research skills and the desire to go to trial.  More information about the firm can be found at: www.tbmlawyers.com.

#2881                                                 Received: April 19, 2006                                San Diego, CA

Title of Position:      Attorney         To Apply:    Submit cover letter, resume, transcript & references to:
Employer Category:   Law Firm            Email: jraskin@raskinandtee.com
Closing Date:      Until Filled             

RESPONSIBILITIES/QUALIFICATIONS:  The law firm of Raskin & Tee is hiring an associate.  The ideal candidate will have taken Community Property and have some practical experience (i.e. clinics in law school). Applicants must be motivated, self-starters. This is an outstanding opportunity to gain significant experience, Court appearances, and client interaction.  The firm will consider applicants who are still awaiting bar results.  More information about the firm can be found at: www.raskinandtee.com.
#2875                                                  Received: April 17, 2006                                San Diego, CA

Title of Position:      Attorney         To Apply:    Submit cover letter and resume to:
Employer Category:   Law Firm            Email: peter@peterchu.com
Closing Date:      Until Filled            
Salary:         $12-15 per hour            

RESPONSIBILITIES/QUALIFICATIONS:  Seeking 3L or recent graduate in top 50% of class. Applicants must have computer skills. Bilingual Spanish/English is helpful. Work will consist of filling out application forms for visas and preparing cases for filing.  More information about the firm can be found at: www.peterchu.com.

GiantDOUCHE

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 04:23:41 AM »
O young Snoboard, so much to warn you about, yet I cannot. This school is filled with "assholes" "wrenches" ERRNs Ogres and Charlies. that is going to be your peers