School Specific Boards > San Diego

is career services really as bad as i keep reading?

(1/5) > >>

snobord99:
as the title states...i see about 90% of the reviews given on career services are negative...is it really that bad?  any reviews anyone can spare would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance!

Brisco:
the entire career services office resigned (I assume were asked to resign or be fired) over christmas break

snobord99:
OMG, is this for real???

snobord99:
o, and thanks for replying to this 1L-to-be  :)

onehandedreader:

--- Quote from: brisco on January 24, 2006, 10:42:37 PM ---the entire career services office resigned (I assume were asked to resign or be fired) over christmas break

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: snobord99 on January 25, 2006, 01:25:14 PM ---OMG, is this for real???

--- End quote ---

yeah, it's for real.  last semester, somebody wrote a pretty scathing piece on career services for the school paper, naming names and everything.  all of it was true, so most of the people targeted by the piece resigned.  now they've got a whole new staff, that's only slightly more helpful.

the problem, however, isn't really the staff so much as the way the office works.  there's an online job board where employers can post ads, but the cs staff doesn't go out and solicit employers like they should.  the cs office at my undergrad, for example, would go out and find as many employers as possible, and then when one of them hired one of our students, the head of cs would stay in touch and continue getting that company to hire from our school/department.

essentially, usdcs will edit your resume and give you access to classified ads, but other than that you're on your own.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version