Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Which section of the LSAT is the hardest?

Logical Reasoning
 9 (29%)
Reading Comprehension
 5 (16.1%)
Analytical (logic games)
 16 (51.6%)
They are equally hard
 1 (3.2%)
They are equally easy
 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: What to Do with a 1.71 GPA at a <T4  (Read 5700 times)

1sweetworld4136

• View Profile
Re: What to Do with a 1.71 GPA at a <T4
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 08:04:13 PM »
I have a few questions

"I've spent approximately 21k already between the conditional admission program I completed this summer (top of the class of 96 people, btw)"

1) Isn't the logic and reason behind the conditional program is to predict law school success.....don't they make it very similiar to an actual law school class and test it the way they do on a real law school class?  If so, it is very impressive that you finsihed at the top of the class of 96 people. How come you did so well on the conditional program and did so "poorly" on the real thing?

2) Your GPA is 1.71.  That's a very low grade in college, but maybe not in law school. Some schools (especialy Tier 4) have a very low curve such as a C.  If that's the case and you make a B- (2.67)average next semester, you can be above average in yoru class. What is your law school's curve?  What does this GPA place you in terms of class rank?

3) This might be a harsh question?  How come you made so much effort go get into law school (especially through the conditional program and doing so well on it) and not apply yourself when it comes to the real thing?  Do you think this (the answer to the above question) will prevent you from doing well this semester?  

Thanks for your time, and in response:

1.  I believe conditional admissions programs have the intention of giving the potential student another chance to prove themselves on something other than an LSAT and GPA (although the reputation of my undergrad is what largely killed my admission prospects for a better school).  I did well in the conditional admission program because it was con law, and while I've never had a class on it, I'm very involved in the subject as a civil libertarian - in particular Loving v. Va, Bowers v. Hardwick, Baker v. VT, and a ton of other marriage cases.  So in response, I suppose I had a leg up on the material (which was announced two weeks prior to the class).

2.  Our curve is a 2.5, which must reflect the mean of all grades (or median?) My Class Rank is 109 out of 126 as of today.

3.  I have been a binge drinker for a number of years.  The conditional program was only a little over a week, and I kept in control.  I went on several binges during first semester, having to catch rides to class and even being called on after drinking an excessive amount. Either way, it's my own fault and I am getting help, but as I said in my original post, it may be too late, and this is, after all, law school...to weed out the weak, and I must be one of the week.  As for it preventing me from doing well this semester, I don't know.  I'm trying to stay sober, but it's hard when drugs and alcohol are all around in my living situation.  I'm also getting reacquainted with my religion, and I've been sober for awhile now (since finding out my grades, basically).  I did all my work drunk, studied drunk, went to class drunk probably 50% of the time.  If I can abstain, I think I can bring up my GPA.

Regardless, I'm doing alot of soul searching.  It's not just law school, but the environment I'm in.  A bit of a shock I guess.  Even if I stay sober, if my heart isn't in it, it isn't in it.  I have my reading done for the next week, but I might be gone by then.  I wonder if alcoholism is a valid excuse or would serve as an extenuating circumstance?  Probably not.
In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act.

~George Orwell

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King, Jr

1HellChicago

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 08:05:22 PM »
By the way, WHO assign the reputation score?  How come mine is a NEGATIVE 2??? 

THE Lousy comment above.

I don't know, but it's funny how yours just changed in a second. Might have something to do w/ # of posts. I'm new to this board, so mine is still "0" - we'll see for how long...?

racheles05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2006, 08:07:35 PM »
I'm really sorry to hear about your problem. Your state bar association probably has a support organization (totally anonymous) that can help you. You can meet with attorneys who have struggled with addiction and can probably give you better guidance. Any dean at your school should be able to direct you to a good program.

If you're not sure if you can abstain, it might be best to take some time off and concentrate on getting better.

1HellChicago

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2006, 08:09:43 PM »
I'm doing alot of soul searching.  It's not just law school, but the environment I'm in.  A bit of a shock I guess.  Even if I stay sober, if my heart isn't in it, it isn't in it.  I have my reading done for the next week, but I might be gone by then.  I wonder if alcoholism is a valid excuse or would serve as an extenuating circumstance?  Probably not.

You're right about that... if your heart isn't in it, it just isn't. That's what I'm struggling with right now, too. Just be sure you're not getting out b/c you're upset about your grades, also be sure you're not closing the door on law b/c of your problems w/ substance abuse. I have issues that made school hard, too. Call your school - anonymously if you're uncomfortable - and ask some "what if" questions. The good news is that you're not THE LAST person in your class. Even that person can finish if he/she has a better semester this time around. Good luck.

EDIT: yes, Racheles05 above makes the best point. Your health comes first.

1sweetworld4136

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2006, 08:20:28 PM »

Call your school - anonymously if you're uncomfortable - and ask some "what if" questions. The good news is that you're not THE LAST person in your class. Even that person can finish if he/she has a better semester this time around. Good luck.

EDIT: yes, Racheles05 above makes the best point. Your health comes first.

I wish I could do that, but there's nothing anonymous because it's a small law school in a small town.  My accent will be a dead giveaway as to my identity - and hell, for all I know someone from my school will stumble across this thread anyway and within a few minutes my whole life story will be unfurrled.  It already happened to someone this year, and they're gone.  What I may do is go to the ombudsman, because I'm pretty sure there's an ABA requirement that they maintain anonymity or there will be consequences.  I'm not too concerned about it, but while I'm mulling over my options I'd rather stay hidden from the scheme of things.
In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act.

~George Orwell

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King, Jr

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2006, 08:40:41 PM »
"My Class Rank is 109 out of 126 as of today."

That means what.... about 26 of you guys will be gone by the start of 2L?

It's so not cool for Tier 4 and maybe half of Tier 3 schools to weed out a fraction of their students.  You don't see this crap going on in Tier 1, Tier 2 and maybe half of Tier 3 schools.

"I'm trying to stay sober, but it's hard when drugs and alcohol are all around in my living situation."

What living situation are you in?  Living with parents, spouse, roomates?  Why can't you get a new place near other law/grad students or other non-drug/alcohol users?  You know what they say....you are who you are largely because of the people you associate with. 

1HellChicago

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2006, 08:48:31 PM »
I don't think substance abuse is a problem to be embarassed about, so talk to someone at your school who you trust. It might come into play on your character and fitness evaluation, but right now nothing's in your file, and nothing will go in just b/c of a phone call. If it makes you feel better, delete all your posts here, too. What school admin would be on the internet figuring this stuff out in the two hours your post has been active, you know?

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2006, 09:33:59 PM »
I don't know if this is an option for you but at my T4 they have a fresh start program where once you find out your first semester grades you are obviously enrolled in your second semester courses right? Well, they have this option for people in your situation where you start over fresh. Literally the slate is wiped clean, your GPA goes away and you start over in January with the Spring entering class. You only get the option once, but it is a valuable tool for a lot of people in your situation. You know where you screwed up, you are only extending your stay by one semester and you get teh chance to start fresh.

I would recommend talking to your academic dean to see if this in an option (though I imagine if it was, you would have been notified? BTW, I voted "apply for a restart")

The other thing to seek out, should you choose to stay in law, is a program like the one we have where there is a non profit orginization run by lawyers, who are all basically recovering from something (drug or alcohol addiction, or both). They are geared towards lawyers and law students and have many programs designed to help you and keep you on track and help you with your bar admission and all that. Tracking rehab progress, etc. Maybe if you were to get involved in a program like that, your school would be more likely to let you start over, knowing you are indeed doing something to fix what made you screw up first semester.
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

racheles05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2006, 05:15:19 AM »
Your state bar association probably has a for program law students and attorneys who are battling addiction. You could contact a chapter of your state bar association that is located anywhere; it doesn't have to be in the same town as your school.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2006, 09:19:15 PM »
Air Force JAG Corps