Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT Score no predictor of success  (Read 7654 times)

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
Re: LSAT Score no predictor of success
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2006, 09:32:33 PM »
(well that is unless you're a minority....and please no one take offense..... but facts ARE facts, and we all know that if you're a minority, then the LSAT doesn't really matter as much....lets be honest)

Yeah, cuz you know they are just lettin' us darkies into law school with "All Deliberate speed", I mean how else do you explain the fact that no minority makes up more than 4% of the 800,000 lawyers in this country.

Matter of fact, when I was on campus today I saw someone from Yale with a sign that said, "Come to Law School and getcha 'Learn On!!!"

::)

People really should realize that just because you include the disclaimer, "No offense" it doesn't nullify the asinine comment yer about to make.
Warning: Educated Black Man

University of Law '09

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2006, 09:35:54 PM »
I got a 0.16 correlation in the study I did for my honors senior thesis and I was pretty happy about that. (As were my advisors.) It was in the Social Psychology/Consumer Behavior/Marketing field.

mthorpe

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Thorpe429
    • View Profile
    • LSN: My split is going to make me the waitlist king...hopefully one will admit me.
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2006, 09:42:11 PM »
I got a 0.16 correlation in the study I did for my honors senior thesis and I was pretty happy about that. (As were my advisors.) It was in the Social Psychology/Consumer Behavior/Marketing field.

Most of that would likely be chalked up to statistics error and the study would certainly have to be redone, at least in most psychological disciplines, I'm not all that familiar with consumer behavior or marketing.

Yeah, cuz you know they are just lettin' us darkies into law school with "All Deliberate speed", I mean how else do you explain the fact that no minority makes up more than 4% of the 800,000 lawyers in this country.

Matter of fact, when I was on campus today I saw someone from Yale with a sign that said, "Come to Law School and getcha 'Learn On!!!"

People really should realize that just because you include the disclaimer, "No offense" it doesn't nullify the asinine comment yer about to make.

There is nothing inaccruate about what the original poster said.  Minorities are let in at schools with a lower LSAT than whites are.  There is no debating that.  Maybe the original poster could have phrased it better, but that doesn't make it any less true.  Whether or not that is a good or a bad thing is a completely different discussion.
“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.”

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Thorpe429

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2006, 05:36:23 PM »
0.16 was the r squared value i believe (don't know if that changes your opinion). It was statistically significant. (p < 0.01)

We also did a group differences test by separating the subjects into two groups and the there was a (statistically) significant difference between the two groups.

Most of that would likely be chalked up to statistics error and the study would certainly have to be redone, at least in most psychological disciplines, I'm not all that familiar with consumer behavior or marketing.

There is nothing inaccruate about what the original poster said.  Minorities are let in at schools with a lower LSAT than whites are.  There is no debating that.  Maybe the original poster could have phrased it better, but that doesn't make it any less true.  Whether or not that is a good or a bad thing is a completely different discussion.

PleaseMr

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2006, 12:52:39 AM »
For me, luckily it was not a good indicator.  I got 163 and now ended up in top 1-10% of class (dont rank yet so we dont really know)at a top 20 school. 

stuvxyz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2006, 08:32:14 PM »
For me, luckily it was not a good indicator.  I got 163 and now ended up in top 1-10% of class (dont rank yet so we dont really know)at a top 20 school. 
W&L? GWU? Iowa?

BigPimpinBU

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2006, 11:02:53 AM »
What's a top 20 school where a 163 doesnt put you in the bottom third of the bell curve?

stuvxyz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2006, 03:15:59 PM »
What's a top 20 school where a 163 doesnt put you in the bottom third of the bell curve?

Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois.  Any other questions?

BigPimpinBU

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2006, 08:01:26 PM »
If I was a male private part, (and I kind of am), I'd ask whether or not you noticed how the schools you listed are in markets where fewer people want to work/live compared to where other top 20 schools are located. That could be "another question." In essence it's more of a snide comment. To really draw this out, my point is that no top school in New York, DC, Boston or LA has even an average LSAT of 163, let alone 163 at the top.

BigPimpinBU

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2006, 08:08:38 PM »
Also, Iowa and Illinois aren't top 20.