Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT Score no predictor of success  (Read 7563 times)

quelby

• View Profile
LSAT Score no predictor of success
« on: January 10, 2006, 09:46:34 PM »
according to LSN - my LSAT score is one of the lowest in my entire class....yet I got the highest grade in my Civ Pro class on the final.  Right on !

jjason

• View Profile
Re: LSAT Score no predictor of success
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 09:54:18 PM »
 ;D that's awesome. good going!

antwan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 10:36:05 PM »
I love these stories. Damn the lsat

1HellChicago

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 10:40:50 PM »
according to LSN - my LSAT score is one of the lowest in my entire class....yet I got the highest grade in my Civ Pro class on the final.  Right on !

Yep, I agree that 1) the lsat sucks, and 2) even though I wish it could be, the lsat is not a good predictor of success; I was well over the 75% and did pretty crappy/mediocre sem 1 (let that be a lesson to those who are confident b/c of a high lsat ;)).

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 06:56:25 AM »
Can schools any longer determine if LSAT is an indication of law school success?  In the "top tier," the LSAT range is so narrow I would think it's hard to find a correlation.  That is, unless they find that 166's generally do better than 165's and so on.  I don't find that very believable.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 08:19:38 AM »
Can schools any longer determine if LSAT is an indication of law school success?  In the "top tier," the LSAT range is so narrow I would think it's hard to find a correlation.  That is, unless they find that 166's generally do better than 165's and so on.  I don't find that very believable.
The question isn't whether it's an indicator of law school success, but rather what piece of law school success.  My best guess would be the bar exam, since that more closely mirrors the LSAT testing situation.

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 10:49:40 AM »
Though I agree that LSAT score does not correlate with law school success, I do think it correlates with how well you will do on the bar.  That's just my two cents.

And I'm not flaming people with low LSAT scores because I probably had a lower one than anyone here.

jimmyp

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.57/176
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 11:50:51 AM »

I agree it's not as accurate as it's trumpeted to be.  I got a 176 but got absolutely shelled on my finals.  I haven't gotten any grades back but I did 3rd worst out of 30 on our only mid-term and I came out of that thinking I did ok.

ChemDr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 01:48:29 PM »
To add another example: I for one had one of the lowest LSAT scores in my class and perhaps worse than any of you. My first semester is a 3.8 and it could definitely have been better if I was not so pissed about having to spend so much time for research on my LWR and ended up making silly careless mistakes on the citations.

The first semester I primarily prepared through answering PMBR questions  for the MCQ part, so do not think the bar is more like the LSAT but rather the MCQ part is just like law school. The main difference between LSAT and bar is that bar has a syllabus, you need to know the subject matter, but in LSAT it's more of a test of time and reasoning.

luckyboy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 04:05:39 PM »
what abour correlation between gpa in undergrad and law school success, i only had a gpa around 3.15 in engineering, which i think is isnt normal, but have about the same gpa in 1st semester, based on b curve, i imagine there must be some people out there that had a high gpa in undergrad, and a low in law school