Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Study Groups  (Read 439 times)

MaryJBlige

• View Profile
    • Email
Study Groups
« on: January 10, 2006, 08:55:19 PM »
Hi guys,

How important do you think joining a study group is?

I'm not sure I want to get involved with that

antwan

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Study Groups
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 10:35:27 PM »
i studied solo all semester and did very well. Im sort of the independent type though. I tried a few "study groups" toward the end and found them to be panic fests and largely a waste of time. In fact I felt at a disadvantage after them cause I wound up teaching the friggin morons everything. In general I think if you do a practice exam once a week for an hour instead of meeting with a group you'll be in great shape.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 08:25:21 AM »
Try one out for a little while.  If you're not getting anything out of it, then quit.  The important thing is not to do anything specific, the important thing is to do what you need to do in order to be successful.  If you learn better in a study group, then find one.  If not, don't worry about it.

ApproachTheBench

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 11:06:12 AM »
What you get out of a study group is just so dependent on who is in it and what you guys do.

Some I've found get really boring and we just chat, total waste of time.

The best ones though were with a couple buddies of mine, we would basically sit around first-year and discuss hypos, just make up tons and tons of them and apply whatever law to them we could and toss around scenarios.  It might sound silly, but that helped me learn the material just so much better than if we talked about case holdings.  Focusing too much on specific cases really set me back at times, I think most individual cases are actually semi-worthless except for whatever black letter law you can extract out of them (especially for a lot of first year classes, no not Con Law.)

Save time, save money, find a summer job at http://www.approachthebench.com

Mimimimi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 06:25:54 PM »
I don't think it's necessary at all.  I got together with a friend and worked through some of the examples in E&E, and also talked over our answers to practice exams, and that was helpful and made the study time have a little more variety, but I don't think my grades would have been any different if I hadn't done it.

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 09:35:53 PM »
Not helpful to me at all.

I prefer to learn the material alone, read, study, the supplements, etc, then get to gether with a like minded friend or two and discuss it, figureing out little nuances, hypos, working it out, talking it out, getting a better understanding of the material.

Other than that, I really don't know what 'study groups' are meant to do???
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

MaryJBlige

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 09:54:15 PM »
Thanks y'all

I am more of an independent studier person and like the idea of getting together with a friend or two here and there just to throw some ideas back and forth. The idea of a formalized study group a la "Paper Chase" just doesn't do it for me...

I guess I let the prof intimidate me into thinking there was no way to be successful without joining one!

shao2007

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 10:09:21 PM »
Study Groups are helpful in giving you a platform to explain/argue an issue to other people just to make sure your thoughts are clear.
Personally for me study groups weren't helpful in the actual studying part, but just more in the how am I going to explain my understanding of the law and make my argument persuasive.
But it's different for everyone so you have to take study groups for a test drive and see what happens.
3 is the optimal number for a study group, i would say definitely no more than 5 people (if you really have to go higher than three).
Lastly, make sure you go in with an organized schedule of what specifically you want to go over in the few hours of a study group.