Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: School Curve  (Read 1414 times)

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
School Curve
« on: January 08, 2006, 12:32:15 PM »
This is the recommended grade distribution for my school. What exactly does it mean in regards to the curve? Is it a C curve? A high curve? Low curve? Good, bad or indifferent?

Numbers are NOT my strong suit, therefore a reason I went to law school.

Thanks in advance

The recommended grade distribution for first-year courses is:
A, A- 15%
B+, B, B- 25%
C+, C, C- 45%
D+, D, F 15%

The recommended grade distribution for second and third year courses is:
A, A- 15%
B+, B 25%
B-, C+, C 45%
C-, D+, D, F 15%

Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: School Curve
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 12:33:59 PM »
And here is this, if it matters..

Letter Grade Point Value Letter Grade Point
A - 4.0              C- - 1.67
A- - 3.67            D+ - 1.33
B+ - 3.33            D - 1.0
B - 3.0              F - 0.0
B- - 2.67            P - Pass
C+ - 2.33            W - Withdrawal
C - 2.0              W/F - 0.0
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

norm012001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 02:13:40 PM »
I would consider that to be a tough curve because 60% of the class will be below a B-.  My school supposedly curves to a B/B+, so a C is a pretty low grade (this is what I understand anyway, I don't have grades yet).

In the end, it only matter psychologically though since class rank is the holy grail.
3.19/165, 6yrs work experience, EE Master's

Accepted: GWU, GMU, American
Waitlist: Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Georgetown, UVa
Withdrawn: UNC (withdrew in mid March, tired of waiting)

Texas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where's the library?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 05:27:55 PM »
Fairly tough...but at our school only 10% get the A...also a C+ median...so our curve may not be harder per se, but it is harder to get a high GPA with fewer A's to go around...

BTW what is the proper way to write "A's" - an apostrophe seems incorrect, but if you just write "As" you're equally wrong...any ideas...

Mimimimi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 07:38:27 PM »
Fairly tough...but at our school only 10% get the A...also a C+ median...so our curve may not be harder per se, but it is harder to get a high GPA with fewer A's to go around...

BTW what is the proper way to write "A's" - an apostrophe seems incorrect, but if you just write "As" you're equally wrong...any ideas...

'A's?  As would not be incorrect (like 1980s).  The problem is it looks like the word "as". 

DutchessA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 08:13:45 PM »
How 'bout A(s)

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 08:36:01 AM »
That's a fairly tough curve.  The problem with curves like that, and why I don't think schools should use them, is even with a very tight distribution, 15% of people are still doing awful.  The 3.0 or 2.7 curve prevents this because there's only so many A's that could boost the curve, while on your curve, a B really drags it up, and has to be matched with an F.  The only reason for a curve like that is to get a high attrition rate.

modena99

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 07:01:13 PM »
I would consider that to be a tough curve because 60% of the class will be below a B-.  My school supposedly curves to a B/B+, so a C is a pretty low grade (this is what I understand anyway, I don't have grades yet).

In the end, it only matter psychologically though since class rank is the holy grail.

Class rank is going to be skewed because many at the bottom of the class with get dismissed and others will just quit. Those students will no longer be included in ranking. I think the schools should include them in the ranking to prevent wild changes in ranking.