11 (27.5%)
Go to USD without money
 9 (22.5%)
Wait a year and reapply, hoping to get into one of the UCs or Loyola
 7 (17.5%)
Give up law school forever
 4 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: trasferring from a T4 to a T1?  (Read 3321 times)

MavCarlissa

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: trasferring from a T4 to a T1?
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 12:47:43 PM »
Hey Callaghan-
I'm ranked 3 or 378.  2 people made 4.0s and I made a 3.9 along w/ 3 others.  So, I'm in the top 5% at least.  Do you think being #3 of 378 will help me out more so that being say #1 of 150 or so?  Thanks!   

count

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 03:44:21 AM »

I am currently at Cooley (a T4).  I have an LSAT of 151 and an UGPA of 3.3.  I'm also a Military Intelligence officer in the Army if that helps out(?).  I finished my first semester w/ a 3.9 gpa.

Are you pulling our legs here? 3.3 undergrad GPA and 3.9 GPA in law school?

You absolutely have a shot at getting into a T1. Let's not forget that schools don't have to report transfer students' LSAT and UGPA to USNews, so they're much more forgiving in this regard.

Well, many law schools require that the transfer student meeets the entrance requirements of the school for beginning law students, in addition to the criteria established for transfer students.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 12:42:36 PM »
Not so much. The requirements generally just mean that you have to have a Bachelors and have taken the LSAT. You're probably thinking about North Carolina and Harvard. Most schools could care less what your LSAT score or UGPA is.

Your use of "many" is inappropriate when used as to what schools state their transfer requirements are.

I am currently at Cooley (a T4).  I have an LSAT of 151 and an UGPA of 3.3.  I'm also a Military Intelligence officer in the Army if that helps out(?).  I finished my first semester w/ a 3.9 gpa.

Are you pulling our legs here? 3.3 undergrad GPA and 3.9 GPA in law school?

You absolutely have a shot at getting into a T1. Let's not forget that schools don't have to report transfer students' LSAT and UGPA to USNews, so they're much more forgiving in this regard.

Well, many law schools require that the transfer student meeets the entrance requirements of the school for beginning law students, in addition to the criteria established for transfer students.

hermine

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006, 12:59:32 PM »
Not so much. The requirements generally just mean that you have to have a Bachelors and have taken the LSAT.

In order to implement these policies, the Admissions Committee utilizes the following standards when reviewing applications for admission with advanced standing:

1. Transfers generally can be made only between the students' first and second years in law school.
2. A transfer applicant generally must have a cumulative undergraduate grade point average and a LSAT score that are each equal to or greater than the median undergraduate grade point average and median score of the KU School of Law class with which the applicant would have entered as a first-year student.
3. A transfer applicant generally must have at least 25 credit hours of law school coursework with a cumulative law school grade point average of at least a 3.0 (B average or higher) earned at an accredited law school.
4. Applicants for transfer generally must satisfy the Admissions Committee that there are compelling reasons for the transfer (e.g., relocation of spouse or a special course of studies to be pursued at the KU School of Law)

http://www.law.ku.edu/admissions/transfer_student.shtml

notonly

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2006, 08:38:23 PM »
The Kansas law school example is rather unusual, I'd say, hermine. I tend to believe that many law school would first and foremost require their transfer candidates to met the entrance requirements of the school for beginning students, they must meet the same criteria required of a first-year applicant.

amba

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2006, 08:21:49 AM »
well, not only, I think it's kinda both .. if you rank in the middle they'll probably want you to have LSAT/GPA within their 25/75 gap