Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1st Year Clerkships?  (Read 3283 times)

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 1st Year Clerkships?
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2006, 11:25:17 PM »
I thought state supreme court is more prestigious than fed dist court, but I think it depends on the state.  For example, I would consider the California supreme court more prestigious than federal dist court, although I have no stats to back that up & may be entirely wrong.  However, if you are in say, Rhode Island, it may be reversed.   

challandler

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2006, 02:14:00 AM »
While I am about as much of a prestige-driven person as anyone, I think giraffe gave the best advice: forget about the prestige and find a situation that will make you happy.  For me, that would mean the State Supreme Court over the Federal District Court becuase I am interested in the more theoretical side of law.  But I could turn that down if I really clicked with a District Court Judge, or felt my Supre Court gig would just be busywork. Argue about prestige when you are doing your post-grad clerkship interviews.  Right now, just find a job that will fulfill you and remind you why you wanted to be a lawyer.

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2006, 12:38:33 PM »
Thats good advice.  I made a point of asking the clerks what type of work environment it was, how work is distributed, how much face time I would get with the judge, how duties are delegated, ect.  If I am working for free I would at least expect a good work environment, having worked in really competitive law offices in the past.

While I am about as much of a prestige-driven person as anyone, I think giraffe gave the best advice: forget about the prestige and find a situation that will make you happy.  For me, that would mean the State Supreme Court over the Federal District Court becuase I am interested in the more theoretical side of law.  But I could turn that down if I really clicked with a District Court Judge, or felt my Supre Court gig would just be busywork. Argue about prestige when you are doing your post-grad clerkship interviews.  Right now, just find a job that will fulfill you and remind you why you wanted to be a lawyer.