Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I might be packing my bags and leaving law school against my will...HELP!!!  (Read 1996 times)

RoniDeutch

• View Profile
    • Email
At my law school, the cut off is a 70 average which is considered a D. During the fall semester, I was having "too much fun" being away from home and in a different state. My days were filled with car rides to the beach and malls. I figured since I breezed through a T1 undergrade with three major and honors, law school would be easy. Well, while the material is easy (except for future interests in Property :-)), the testing is brutal (which im sure you can all relate to). The last three weeks, I pulled myself together and thought i understood what i needed for my exams. I took the exams and the grades are still pending. however, in the interim i received my LRW paper back (which is worth 20% of my final grade) and it was a 70!! I did wait until the last few days to do the paper and just wanted to get it over with. I feel like a failure and a loser. My other three grades were 90, 86, and 84. I was shocked to get a D. My dreams of being a sucessful criminal attorney have been replaced with thoughts of a menial job. I  have obviously underestimated the rigor of LS. I feel like SH$T and have no motivation to return back to school. Additionally, i am TERRIFIED to get the rest of my grades. ANTWAN offered some very good advice in a previous post.  Im looking for some advice or encouragement. THIS SUCKS!!!!

Coog

• View Profile
Quit screwing around and get your act together.  If you drop out, the decision will haunt you for the rest of your life.  Not trying to be rude, but that is my advice.

RoniDeutch

• View Profile
    • Email
You are absolutely right...this is all my fault. I just hope it isnt too late. The thought of dropping out makes me sick to my stomach. Thanks for your comment.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Stop pretending!!! You're proud that you can pull 90s and 80s with little studying.  You're not dropping out, you're just proud, and you know it!

For whatever, it's worth, LRW class and its grade matters ALOT.  One of the attorneys who interviewed me didn't care about how I did in the other classes, all he care about was how I did in LRW. 

You are absolutely right...this is all my fault. I just hope it isnt too late. The thought of dropping out makes me sick to my stomach. Thanks for your comment.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Do you really want to be in law school? Perhaps it's not the right thing or the right time? Otherwise, as has been stated, you're using this as a way to brag about grades with little studying. If it works for you, lucky for you, keep at it if that's your thing. Be responsible for your actions.

RoniDeutch

• View Profile
    • Email
im not bragging. i just wanted to illustrate that im not a COMPLETE idiot by getting a D in an LRW class. Im also wondering it it is POSSIBLE to get through law school doing little work. you always hear about people spending a bazillion hours in the library, but you dont hear much from the people who dont do that. Maybe its b/c they dont make it :-)!!The fact that i did no work in college isnt relevant to my problem now. law school is a different beast. I;m no super gifted genius. if i was, i wouldnt be worried about failing out. anyway, as far as law school being the right place for me, im sure about that. i worked for four years as an investigator in NY and through that I decided i wanted to go to law school. i has always wanted to go, but i wanted to spend a few years doing child abuse investigations. i guess i just thought i could live it up and have fun while in law school. i underestimated the rigor.

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
I will admit, I've seen a lot of people do what you did and I have never understood it, but I'm not going to bash you for it either. You made a mistake and you realize that now. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and do better next semester. You have learned your lesson. Make next semester count, bust your ass and you should be able to minimize the damage.

racheles05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
If you're at a T1/T2, your school probably doesn't want to flunk you out. As your grades come in, if they're still in the danger zone, talk to the applicable dean about turning things around next semester.

As for study tips, there are plenty on this message board and elsewhere.

RoniDeutch

• View Profile
    • Email
LawGirl:

you said you have seen many people do what i did...what became of them? did they pull it off or fall on their faces?

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
The ones that I saw leave or get kicked out did it for several semesters, but I also saw others that realized early enough that they had screwed up and pulled their grades up.