Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I might fail out...HELP!!  (Read 1291 times)

RoniDeutch

• View Profile
    • Email
I might fail out...HELP!!
« on: January 06, 2006, 04:27:26 PM »
At my law school, the cut off is a 70 average which is considered a D. During the fall semester, I was having "too much fun" being away from home and in a different state. My days were filled with car rides to the beach and malls. I figured since I breezed through a T1 undergrade with three major and honors, law school would be easy. Well, while the material is easy (except for future interests in Property :-)), the testing is brutal (which im sure you can all relate to). The last three weeks, I pulled myself together and thought i understood what i needed for my exams. I took the exams and the grades are still pending. however, in the interim i received my LRW paper back (which is worth 20% of my final grade) and it was a 70!! I did wait until the last few days to do the paper and just wanted to get it over with. I feel like a failure and a loser. My other three grades were 90, 86, and 84. I was shocked to get a D. My dreams of being a sucessful criminal attorney have been replaced with thoughts of a menial job. I  have obviously underestimated the rigor of LS. I feel like SH$T and have no motivation to return back to school. Additionally, i am TERRIFIED to get the rest of my grades. ANTWAN offered some very good advice in a previous post.  Im looking for some advice or encouragement. THIS SUCKS!!!!

ApproachTheBench

• View Profile
Re: I might fail out...HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 08:46:32 PM »
TWENTY NINE DOLLARS?!
Save time, save money, find a summer job at http://www.approachthebench.com

ApproachTheBench

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 08:51:44 PM »
Don't worry.  It's your first semester, you know what you did wrong and you still did get some pretty decent grades.

This semester is crucial though, you gotta step it up here.  If you can do that you'll be just fine. 

If you are really worried about menial jobs, go to AtB and apply everywhere.  That should increase your chances of getting something this summer considerably.
Save time, save money, find a summer job at http://www.approachthebench.com

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 10:21:34 AM »
Look, you know you didn't apply the effort necessary.  And you still got halfway decent grades in that class.  Are you sure a 70 is even a D?  Most places that's a C-.  But I digress.  You know that whatever happened in this semester, you didn't do what you felt you needed to do.  If you got all A's, you might reevaluate that, but you know that if you're below the median, in danger of failing out, not getting the grades you need for the job you want, you can do more.  Many people worked themselves to death, and didn't do as well as they would have wanted.  So use your grades (if they aren't great) as motivation to focus on school and not the beach.  And when your grades come back, tell yourself that it's not as bad as it seems (if they are bad) because you can do a lot more to fix the situation.

RoniDeutch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 12:48:40 PM »
Ok...here are the grades for the semester...72,77,95,66,62. I have to do SOME work this semester. im not looking to set the world on fire, but i just want to get out.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 06:28:54 PM »
Don't think about doing "SOME" work this semester, concentrate on doing "ALL" the work this semester.  Concentrate on reading everything, attending every class, taking at least a few notes, and making an outline.  That sounds like a lot, but it really isn't, and you should be able to do all of that, and have most of the weekends off as well.