Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What I learned from my first semester of law school...  (Read 2233 times)

Trancer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Conan the Republican!!!
    • View Profile
Re: What I learned from my first semester of law school...
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2006, 05:51:20 PM »
One situation stood out in my head, i asked an older member of our section to clarify something.  His explanation was so blantantly wrong that it couldnt be anything but a clear example of cutthroat gunner behavior.  Aside from that most students either will tell you they dont know (even if they do) or help you out.  Personally, whenever i explain a subject to someone i find it solidifies it in my own mind.  But more tips...

1. Briefing is almost completely useless (except for torts, where each case introduces a new rule of law).  Class does not prepare you for the test, but paying attention to what the prof. concentrates on goes a long way in determining what they are looking for on the test.
Its not the size of the army that counts, its the fury of the onslaught.
Seton Hall, August 05

plumbert

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2006, 03:54:58 AM »
I think keeping up with the outlines each week and taking lots of practice tests are the most important changes I'll be making this coming semester.

stunner

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2006, 04:40:29 PM »
1. Calm the @#!* down and don't worry about it. This is (very seriously) by far the most important thing.

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2006, 06:00:09 PM »
1. Calm the @#!* down and don't worry about it. This is (very seriously) by far the most important thing.

Co-sign.
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

txaggie99

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2006, 08:15:16 PM »
This is more a response to the things going on in my head after my first semester:

1)  ***deleted this one in the interest of not starting the adminstration on any crazy witch hunt. maybe they will realize that they messed up, not the students.***

2) I spent A TON of time in my LRAW class. I had an A- average going into the final paper and got so stressed over doing well on it that I got a B-. While I know there are many 1Ls that would love to get a B- in LRAW, it kills me to know that my time was not well spent and with 75% of the grade based on the final memo, Ill be lucky to get a B in the class.

3) I always knew that there would be people that could party all semester and still do well in school. It is amazing to me that they still exist in Law School. One classmate appeared to be stoned every day in class, when he was awake, and he has all As at this point. Im not even upset about itjust shocked. Congratulations to him. Hopefully the rest of his life is as painless as it appears to be.

4) Im glad I made time for the people in my life that cared about me before I started school. They were there to help me forget the pain over the break and helped me smile after the 1L grade shock hit me.

5) At some point, I hope that I can stop thinking about everyone else, and focus on me. Why should I care how everyone else does?

Anyway, it's over. Now for round two....

Good luck to all you other 1Ls going back to hell. Only 115 days until finals.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2006, 09:18:22 PM »
Txaggie, I'd swear we are at the same law school
Air Force JAG Corps

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2006, 12:27:55 PM »
Well, it's hard to say what I did right/wrong because I haven't gotten all my grades yet, but from what I know so far ...

This semester I will

*Outline early (did this last semester but need to do it even earlier this semester)
*Buy commercial outlines during the first week of school.
*Continue taking practice exams -- I think these were really helpful.

And, as I did last semester ... when I don't get something, concentrate until I know it backwards and forwards. Whatever I'm uncertain about will definitely be on the exam.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php