Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: syracuse  (Read 563 times)

ray7

• View Profile
syracuse
« on: January 05, 2006, 11:03:46 PM »
Any info on syracuse law? How are the faculty? Are the students ulta-competitive? What is the grading curve like? Any info would be appreciated.

biolawgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: syracuse
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 11:43:12 AM »
Hi. I just finished my first semester at Syracuse Law.  the grading curve is actualy on another post (it is titled "grading curve at a particular school", but it can also be found on the website.  I have not gotten any grades back yet.. it's frustrating they take a long time.. so i cannot tell you my personal experience with the curve. However, I have found the students to not be ultra competitive. In fact, I love the school because of the students and their willingness to help each other out and not be ultra competitive.  I had a friend whos computer crashed and he lost all his briefs right before finals.  He was offered briefs from alot of students as well as outlines if necessary.  This is not to say that if you do no work you can get everytihn gfrom other people. They'll know if you are slacking and won't be willing to help. Trust me I hvae had a couple people not come to any classes and then try to get my outlines. The faculty and profs are sort of hit and miss.  Some are good, some are bad.  I had a few I hated this semester and a few I liked.  From talking to the 3l's it seems to be about the same.  The location and weather of the school is a downer, but overall I am pretty happy there for a law school experience.  HTH!
I love my philly phanatic :)

ray7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 07:36:43 PM »
Thanks for the response. I have pretty much decided to go to Syracuse at this point. How would you describe the workload? How many hours a day do you put into studying? Do you have time for leisure activity? I read in Princeton Review's book that the courseload is challenging, especially the 5 credit courses.

biolawgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 08:46:43 AM »
The courseload was just as I expected it to be in law school. It was challenging, but manageable. It depends on your background too. I am 25 and have a masters degree so I am used to work.. some people coming right out of college had more trouble adjusting..but that's law school in general I would think. Not specifically the 'cuse.  I did not have much leisure time once the memos started. You WILL spend 2 whole weekends and the weeks in between working on the memos in addition to your other assignments because they take that long.. but once again same in other law schools. Once one memo is done, they other is assigned that day.  There are bar nights every Friday sponsored by different clubs at the school.  Everyone seems to go to those up until the end of the semester.  I have heard though that as a 2L and 3L there is more time to relax.
I love my philly phanatic :)