Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chris Laurel's tips on books and supplements  (Read 1464 times)

Chris Laurel

• View Profile
    • Email
Chris Laurel's tips on books and supplements
« on: January 05, 2006, 06:29:03 PM »
First, if any of you are not checking Amazon.com or eBay, or whatever to see if you can find your books, then you are blowing money out the window. 

All you need is the author name, or the ISBN number, etc., which the Prof supplies to you anyway.  On the Internet book sellers are many students JUST LIKE YOU who listed their old books hoping to get out of the Barnes & Noble buyback rip-off.  Yeah, they probably run your bookstore.

Go Amazon, buy their used ones first.  Save a bundle.  Help students like you.

DO NOT BUY HORNBOOKS RIGHT AWAY, or study guides, etc.  Remember, you want to find the study guide specifically geared toward your book, or written by its author.  That means you only have ONE available.  And any of the Legalines, Caselines, whatever lines books are fine.  Better, use your free Lexis account and look the cases up there - they have all the basic facts AND all the Lexis notes.  Better than a case line book - seriously. 

You can find tons of people willing to kick them your way, often free, who never even used them.  Sometimes you can find them abandoned in the halls of the school, left in lockers.  Don't waste the money.

If there is a *MUST* have (mind you *everyone* has the *MUST* have guide) then go out and buy it.  But maybe also look on Amazon and bn.com to see how people rate the guide before you buy it.  See what other people say about other guides.  You'll be thankful.

Don't forget, go forth with the knowledge that American law schools have a lot of problems.  Here is the main problem, and how to fix it:
http://accuracyblog.blogspot.com/2006/01/law-school-story.html

DEMAND MORE TESTS!  DEMAND TEACHING ASSISTANTS!

Chris Laurel

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Chris Laurel's tips on books and supplements
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 01:01:35 AM »
And ALWAYS sell your books back.  If you think you'll reference them EVER again, you are wrong.  NOBODY does, even though we all think we will.  Besides, the law changes too much that it quickly renders your books obsolete.

If you want decorative books, buy ones you might actually pick up again.  Besides, all those cases and legal information is on-line these days. 

ALWAYS SELL YOUR BOOKS.

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 10:08:52 AM »
Books on the internet, who'd a thought.

By the way I would not go around looking for books in other peoples lockers or around the school. In crimlaw we called that stealing. 

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 03:42:39 PM »
Chris is a feminine hygiene product, but he's right about utilizing Lexis.

Chris Laurel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 11:58:55 PM »
Lincoln shows his education level with the language he uses.  He's also upset becaused on every one of my threads I have spanked his child-like ability to not provide any reasoning and arguments, but just attack and name call.

It's kind of cute that he holds himself out so publicly as someone who has so little to say.  These people exist.  They even run our government.

Chris Laurel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 12:01:41 AM »

By the way I would not go around looking for books in other peoples lockers or around the school. In crimlaw we called that stealing. 

Giffy, when you say things like that you call into question whether you are in law school or not.  Because EVERYONE in law school knows that people dump unused and unnecessary books in the halls, on tables, in the cafeteria, etc.  They do at my school at least.

However, as your ability to grasp what people write is so amazing, if anyone is able to go around and find the combinations to every locker in the school (what Giff seemed to think I was advocating?) then I'd love to know how you did it.

Giffy has a crush on me.  He follows *all* my threads.  <sigh>  Lincoln is a close second.  It's very flattering. 

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 11:38:43 AM »

Giffy, when you say things like that you call into question whether you are in law school or not.  Because EVERYONE in law school knows that people dump unused and unnecessary books in the halls, on tables, in the cafeteria, etc.  They do at my school at least.

However, as your ability to grasp what people write is so amazing, if anyone is able to go around and find the combinations to every locker in the school (what Giff seemed to think I was advocating?) then I'd love to know how you did it.

Giffy has a crush on me.  He follows *all* my threads.  <sigh>  Lincoln is a close second.  It's very flattering. 

You do strike me as a sexy sexy female dog

Senior Belding

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 05:15:11 PM »
as i understand it--a hornbook summarizes all the cases in a partiuclar book.

What about supplements. Do you recommend a particular brand?

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 11:55:40 PM »
as i understand it--a hornbook summarizes all the cases in a partiuclar book.

What about supplements. Do you recommend a particular brand?

The best thing is to find a supplement that works for you and your class. There is no right or wrong. Personally I don't really use them, but thatís just me. Just make sure you don't use them like a crutch. You have to learn how to analyze fact patterns in terms of the rules, not just memorize case holdings.