Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Fact Is, Profs Don't Use The Socratic Method  (Read 26232 times)

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Fact Is, Profs Don't Use The Socratic Method
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2006, 02:23:42 PM »
But we do know about you, Chris.  Your whiny b-tch rants say much more about you than they do about law school. 
You take responsibility for none of your own actions.  You are spoiled. 
At least once in high school and college, you got a got a bad grade because the "teacher hated" you.  You had couldn't get a girlfriend because "girls don't like nice guys." 
You've never had a job, at least one that required genuine responsibility.  You lived in a dorm in college, which was paid for by money that came from someone else's hard work.  And you sit around a lot bullsh-tting with people. 

You think you have all the answers, but you wouldn't even consider that some of them are just crap (teaching assistants?  Who cares?) .  Besides, who takes a whiny b-tch seriously?

The practice of law is tough, Chris.  Nobody's going to hold your anymore.

Chris Laurel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2006, 05:22:27 PM »
My God, you *do* know me! 

See everybody - more personal attacks, but not one idea, not one issue, debated.  "Who cares?"  Probably professors would make great use of teaching assistants.  If teaching assistants held comprehensive reviews of the courses before finals, I think all of us would be grateful and care.  To those who want to pursue academia, I think the opportunity to work closely with a professor, grading exams (which can be disputed with the professor) under his or her close supervision, would be great for them (and us).

Students would have an extra brain to approach and pick. A brain who knows what is important to the professor, and who knows the subject well.  Who can ask the professor things that he or she can not answer.

Who cares if we have teaching assistants?  You are more interested in attacking and could care less about thinking.  That's the answer to "who cares" - not you.

Like I said, it's not the brightest who get heard, it's the ballsiest.  What school does  this guy even go to that he talks the way he talks?  That he argues the way he argues?  Is he even IN law school, or just a tenth-grader who recently had a meeting with his counsellor and decided to "check it out?"  You evidence little education. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2006, 05:34:19 PM »
Quit your bitching and go away.  No one here cares about the fact that you think law school is unfair.

Chris Laurel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2006, 05:37:40 PM »
Every time you respond, I will respond to you.  I notice you have a -25 for your reputation.  That does make you a troll?

If people care that their grades and arbitrary, inaccurate or unfair, and that employers make decisions based solely on those grades - they 100% determine your job, trust me, I've been in law a long time.  Then you should care. 

And you should demand it be fixed.  It's not "bitching" just like saying "we need the levees fixed" is not bitching.  Where do you get the nerve to say those who propose solutions to obvious problems are just whining and bitching? 

No wonder we do not fix anything in this country. Especially if this last poster is right, "nobody cares."  If that's true, we better start caring, because what is going on around us, whether inaccurate grades or unfixed national problems, affect our lives.  If you don't start caring you may wish you had earlier, before it's too late.

Stakes is high, son, stakes is high.

And if you all don't know what is going on, you better learn, because professors test current issues almost exclusively.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2006, 05:40:46 PM »
Posting this crap on an internet message board is hardly the way to "fix" things, as you put it.

And yes, jobs in the sweat shop firms that pay $200k a year are arbitrarily determined by grades.  But you make it sound like you will never get a job unless you graduate in the top 10% of your class.  This is BS, and you know it.  It's inflammatory, and preys on people's irrational fears.  So unless you have anything of intelligence to say (which I'm sure you don't, based on the whining I've seen here), you'd do us all a favor and leave.

Chris Laurel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2006, 05:43:41 PM »
Dude, you obviously don't know, so there is no need to discuss it with you.  I'll give you the last word, because you are only looking to argue instead of discuss solutions.  People like you get a thrill from it, bizarrely. 

Here's Wikipedia's definition of what you guys are:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolling

Internet troll
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

In Internet terminology, a troll is a person who posts inflammatory messages on the Internet, such as on online discussion forums, to disrupt discussion or to upset its participants. "Troll" can also mean the inflammatory message itself posted by a troll or be a verb meaning to post such messages. "Trolling" (the gerund) is also commonly used to describe the activity.

It's a good entry.  It includes this gem:

The main motive for a user trolling is to disrupt the community in some way. Inflammatory, sarcastic, disruptive or humorous content is posted, meant to draw other users into engaging the troll in a fruitless confrontation. The greater the reaction from the community the more likely the user is to troll again, as the person develops beliefs that certain actions achieve his/her goal to cause chaos. This gives rise to the often repeated protocol in Internet culture: "Do not feed the trolls".

cuteprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2006, 11:05:21 PM »
What school do you go to?  Law schools use the Socratic Method.  They really do.  If your school used it, you'll feel the pain that the rest of us feel.

Chris Laurel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2006, 02:40:47 AM »
I'm sorry, but I disagree.  They do not use the socratic method anymore, and not only at my New York City school.  I have friends at top schools or recent graduates.  I've worked as a senior paralegal for six years.  So I know a few things, and I am half-way through school.

They do not use socratic method, not as that term is understood:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socratic_method#Typical_Application_in_Legal_Education

I urge you all to visit that description. 

You do not have to believe me.  Profs start their classes off telling you not to expect it.  Read that defintion, and keep it in mind.  And stop worrying, because in the end there is nothing you can do about it.  But I tell you, it is the the truth:  professors do not use the socratic method anymore.

Keep in mind, the socratic method requires an entire class engaging in an active discussion.  How often does *that* happen First Year?  Rarely to never.

http://accuracyblog.blogspot.com

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2006, 03:18:10 AM »
i think you are highly misguided on what the socractic method is.

I also like your smug little comment about your "nyc" school. you're an arrogant p r i c k.

go back to iowa, nebraska, or whatever hick state ur from.
check the footnotes ya'll

Chris Laurel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2006, 11:18:36 AM »
i think you are highly misguided on what the socractic method is.

Then what you should do is click on that Wikipedia link and edit the entry yourself.  I provided a definition for what the socratic method is, you did not.  So why don't you put up and define it for us, since I (and Wikipedia) are so misguided.

Otherwise, stop trolling - you add not one thing to this discussion thread, you only called your education into question.  You are not in law school, or you would learn how to debate issues and not personal attacks.  Grow up, kid.

And if you are not a kid, grow up and learn to use your intellect. These kids who pride themselves on being able to figure out where someone is from, or what their personality is, by reading a bunch of posts makes them look so...inexperienced.  I mean, come on - lashing out at where I am supposedly from, when you have no clue?  It shows you have no ideas, just that you think you are an astute observer, and you are not.  That's the problem with the internet for people who have no original thoughts - they can only GUESS at things to attack, because God knows they can't think for themselves enough to debate solutions.

You know, if you all are in law school, or contemplating it, then right now is the time to stop looking so stupid by trolling and personally attacking people on discussion boards.  Start now discussing ideas and debating them, instead of attacking someone who tries to do so. 

This is not only necessary for intelligent discourse, but is a nation-wide problem in how we treat each other and how we learn from each other.