Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anybody else really glad to get an "average" grade?  (Read 3458 times)

jd2b06

• View Profile
Re: Anybody else really glad to get an "average" grade?
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2006, 08:05:41 AM »
A buddy of mine goes to Cooley and is absolutely ecstatic each and every time he gets a C.  For some reason even though Cooley is ranked super low, A C there is equal to a B+ anywhere else... and the curve is like 80% C's.  hahaha   

Survival of the fittest over there I guess.  I feel for him that would truly suck. 

Mimimimi

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2006, 09:46:22 AM »

Our curve was something like 20% C's until this year, I'm glad they changed it before I got here since I didn't pay attention to that stuff when choosing a school.  Why do they want the 1L median so much lower at your school?

It really makes no difference where your curve is set (for any purpose other than maybe making you feel good about yourself).  Potential employers aren't looking at your GPA when they compare you to similar students at other schools.  Instead they look at your class rank and the relative strength/reputation of the schools.  A 3.1 at one school may be better than a 3.5 at another.

That's a good point, although at my school, they don't release class rank unless you are applying for a clerkship or when they announce Coif, so employers will definitely look at the GPA.  Most of the OCI employers would probably have a good idea of where it put you on the curve, but smaller firms that don't hire a lot of students every year (the type of firm I want to work for) may not know anything about the curve, so the relaxed curve will be somewhat helpful. 

Incursion

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2006, 03:33:07 PM »
I'm in section 3 at UT.  I was relieved and inspired when I saw my Ks grade.  Groups C&D already have their torts grade.
3.97/157/166

Trancer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Conan the Republican!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2006, 07:07:14 PM »
Also, im a very optimistic person and i look at the whole grade situation like this: we are new to the requirement of law school, the only place we can go now is up.  We are aware of what is expected of us; we now know our limitations, our weaknesses and our strengths.

Instead of being optimistic, get realistic.  When you are more aware of what to expect, to know your limitation, and to know your weakness and strengths, so do the REST OF YOUR CLASS/COMPETITORS.  Don't forget, it's graded on a curve. 

This is true, but not everyone learns from their mistakes and those that do sometimes dont learn all they can from them.  So... im sticking with optimistic!
Its not the size of the army that counts, its the fury of the onslaught.
Seton Hall, August 05

eray01

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2006, 06:12:26 PM »
It does seem like they throw darts. Only until I go talk to them about the exam. Then they show me all the places I screwed up, and I wonder what the hell I was thinking when I took the test. Their criticisms always make total sense.

Starresky

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LeftMusic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2006, 10:17:19 PM »
It does seem like they throw darts. Only until I go talk to them about the exam. Then they show me all the places I screwed up, and I wonder what the hell I was thinking when I took the test. There criticisms always make total sense.

I definitely agree with this statement. After seeing the sample answers and the memo on what we should have written, I feel like my grades were well-earned!

Love,
Q