Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: In Your Opinions What are the BEST supplements for each 1st year Course?  (Read 1742 times)

BigTex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: In Your Opinions What are the BEST supplements for each 1st year Course?
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2006, 08:53:55 AM »
The E&E for K's is excellent.

ACore

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - atomcore
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2006, 10:05:27 AM »
Like everyone else, I thought that E&E was very helpful for Civ Pro. I used Emmanuel's for Torts since it was keyed to my text and I thought I did fairly well in that class too. If I  compare my grades in classes in which I used the commercial supplements and classes in which I did not, there was a significant difference. I personally think they are very helpful in understanding certain concepts when both the text and the professor are vague.
Attending: FSU
In: FIU, FSU, Syracuse 
Waitlisted: UM, Penn State
Rejected: Pitt, Stetson

racheles05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2006, 10:14:25 AM »
I used E&E for Torts just for the section on causation. I didn't find the rest of the book very helpful. I used Legalines to keep up with the reading towards the end of the semester and the quizzes in the big green BarBri book right before finals. Torts was my highest grade.

I didn't use anything for Property, my second-highest grade, but the professor was highly idiosyncratic. This semester I'm using Understanding Property.

For Contracts, I used Emanuels which was tied with Legal Writing for my lowest grade. I think I'll work with E&E a lot more this semester because the hypos really help come exam time. I don't find the commercial outlines very helpful, but that's just me. I tried Emanuel's for Civ Pro, too, (gift from my mother) and it didn't work for me.

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
  • My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2006, 03:37:33 PM »
For a clueless soon to be 1L, are there any subjects where it is unimportant to have the most up-to-date suppliment?  For example, would an E&E for Civil Procedures from the mid to late 90's be as good as the most recent edition? 
GPA - 2.095 (It was a long time ago and I wasn't trying.)
LSAT - 161

In - Suffolk, New England School of Law
Out - BC, Northeastern
Pending - Nothing pending . . . now what?

midnight thursday

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2006, 06:48:19 PM »
Before I started school, several people recommended the E&E by Glannon for Civ Pro. I have to agree it was a very helpful book. We also had a book on reserve in the library that explains all the federal rules in plain English; that book saved my a$$.

I also recommend the Gilbert's property book by Dukeminier. Property got so much easier after I got this book.

Villus

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2006, 11:15:43 PM »
For a clueless soon to be 1L, are there any subjects where it is unimportant to have the most up-to-date suppliment?  For example, would an E&E for Civil Procedures from the mid to late 90's be as good as the most recent edition? 

For some reason, my Civ Pro prof was anal about having up to date materials, including Glannon's Civ Pro. I got the impression from him that rules change and comments are added, but I really don't think that it matters, because Glannon focuses on the basics/fundamentals, not the Advisory committee comments and all that crap.

In short, I think you could be all right with study guides that are a year/two/three old, I wouldn't go with the 90s though.

jd2b06

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2006, 01:46:26 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys!  Keep the great comments coming...  I also had sort of a follow up question... Which courses are more element based... or are all first year courses element based and would therefore require more of something like flashcards?

jd2b06

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2006, 01:48:06 AM »
Before I started school, several people recommended the E&E by Glannon for Civ Pro. I have to agree it was a very helpful book. We also had a book on reserve in the library that explains all the federal rules in plain English; that book saved my a$$.

I also recommend the Gilbert's property book by Dukeminier. Property got so much easier after I got this book.

Do you happen to remember the name of the book or the series?

mr.hopkins

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2006, 09:52:05 AM »
How about Sum & Substance series Quick Review?