Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Michigan Class of 2009: Represent!  (Read 5161 times)

challandler

Michigan Class of 2009: Represent!
« on: January 05, 2006, 02:47:01 AM »
Just trying to get to know some of my (hopefully) soon-to-be classmates.  Barring a Harvard or Stanford acceptance (or just really hating UM when I visit), Ann Arbor will be my home for the next three years. 

Do any other admitted students have Michigan as their curent top choice?

ocnblu6

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Michigan Class of 2009: Represent!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 08:24:16 PM »
Just trying to get to know some of my (hopefully) soon-to-be classmates.  Barring a Harvard or Stanford acceptance (or just really hating UM when I visit), Ann Arbor will be my home for the next three years. 

Do any other admitted students have Michigan as their curent top choice?

I"m with you, Vapid.  I'm still awaiting info on financial aid (which MIGHT impact my decision), but Michigan is definitely top choice right now.  I'm going to the second preview weekend in March.  Which one are you going to?

challandler

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 09:55:09 PM »
I'm going to the second preview weekend in March.  Which one are you going to?

Same.  PM here or on the pre-law site, if you're intereted in meeting up once there.  BTW, I'm from SoCal too, originally.  Michigan should be a huge change, lol.

Ladamercy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 01:56:37 PM »
Hey kids. Michigan is also my top choice right now, but we'll see what happens with Financial Aid.  Unicorn, what made you choose Mich over Penn?

challandler

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 09:31:53 AM »
1. Environment.  I'm not a city person, and I just couldn't imagine living in Philly after I visited.  Ann Arbor is the type of college town I have grown to love.

2. Housing. I have a wife (who is a chef) to think about, and the only on-campus housing at Penn is a furnished hi-rise with a kitchenette.  Michigan has an entire apartment complex dedicated to students with families. 

3. Facilities.  I still have to visit Michigan, but if their CD is remotely accurate, they have the better building for my tastes/style.

4. Job placement.  By every empirical measure I could find, Michigan grads get better jobs than Penn grads.

5. Clerkship/Academia.  Michigan is a powerhouse at producing clerks and academics.  Penn is improving, but I want to maximize my opportunities, and that means sticking with the proven commodity.

6. Community.  The largest plurality of Penn students (if not a true majority) want to work in NYC after graduation.  I don't, and I felt a little out of place around so many who did.  Michigan sends a good number of grads all over the country, so I fouldn't feel so alone when considering employment opportunities in various regions, and I wouldn't be at a disadvantage when flying everywhere for interviews, while others just drive for 2 hours.

7.  Fit.  Michigan has some very notable professors in fields of study that am interested in, and journals dedicated to those ares.  I also just really connect with their promotional materials - the sense of humor and personality that shines through through the text jsut really attracts me.  They are a school that doesn't take itself too seriously. 

ocnblu6

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 02:20:04 PM »
Vapid,

I couldn't have said it better.

I PM'd you about meeting up, if you're still interested.  If anyone else is attending the 2nd weekend and wants to meet, PM me or Vapid.

lightessenz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 02:32:55 PM »
Vapid said it best! For all of the above reasons, UM is looking awesome.  Their academic sense of nerdiness is cool too, with professors who genuinely seem interested in niche topics and random cross-application of fields.

I will send a pm, cuz I think I am going to the 23-25 orientation thing.

jdoe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 03:25:09 PM »
im torn between penn and mich...but, pendng fin aid, leaning toward mich (also pending a couple of outstanding apps)...because of the conflict with penn, ill be attending the preview weekend next weekend (march 9-11)...anyone else going then?
IN: w&l($$$), cornell, emory($$$), vanderbilt($$$), ucla, usc($), penn, nwestern($$$ & .95$), gtown, umich, and uva($$)
WAIT: columbia, chicago
OUT:

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=ehem