Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone extremely disappointed by 1L grades? I am...  (Read 27752 times)

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone extremely disappointed by 1L grades? I am...
« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2006, 02:40:22 PM »
I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to say because that sentence was a bit hard to follow, but assuming I'm interpreting what you are saying correctly, my answer is "no." In fact, you are probably MORE likely to be miserable if you go into BIGLAW than if you do not.

Yea, you won't get a BIGLAW job, but you'll get something.

Wouldn't you regret that you would be a 'miserable lawyer' for the rest of your life in case you'll only be able to get 'something'?!

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 02, 2006, 02:41:24 PM »
3.35 GPA = top 5% at my school

The f**cking piece of *&^% cheap school of mine (obviously T4) sets the curve for mandatory classes at 2.7, but the overall first-year GPA is around 2.9. Never heard of a school where 3.0 puts you in the top 25%. 

cube

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2006, 09:42:19 PM »

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to say because that sentence was a bit hard to follow [...] 

I guess there's a bit of "interbreeding" -- so to speak -- in that sentence, mp ;) Do you quite get this one, btw? ;)

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2006, 11:01:58 PM »
I sucked first semester.  Doing a lot better this time.

whoknows573829

• View Profile
deleted
« Reply #94 on: June 20, 2006, 09:34:29 AM »
deleted

jippyjappa

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: June 20, 2006, 10:43:11 AM »

The f**cking piece of *&^% cheap school of mine (obviously T4) sets the curve for mandatory classes at 2.7, but the overall first-year GPA is around 2.9. Never heard of a school where 3.0 puts you in the top 25%. 

Easy solution- put your class rank or percentile on your resume. What they usually care about is how you stack up to others, not your GPA itself.

Tymeless

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2006, 12:10:16 PM »
Finished with a 2.68 :(.   Anyone know about where I would fall in rankings at a school with a b- curve?
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take"
I am taking all the shots I can.
In:NYLS, Touro
Out: St. Johns, Brooklyn, Hofstra (Damn, Damn, Damn!!!)

Highway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 20, 2006, 04:35:19 PM »
Finished with a 2.68 :(.   Anyone know about where I would fall in rankings at a school with a b- curve?

Probably below the curve (3.0.)

Sorry...couldn't help myself. This is a stupid question given that nobody knows what school you go to, how many students you have in your class, or anything else for that matter. Any guesses provided are no better than a guess you come up with.

Seriously...do people with reasoning like this actually go to law school?

Tymeless

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 20, 2006, 05:02:55 PM »
I have seen other posts similar to mine on other boards.  I will not apoligize for asking the question.  I was only seeking a general NOT specific answer. I know you nor anyone else can say. 
"Tymeless, you will rank 2/144." My school actually does not rank or post percentage until next year.

And by the way I thought 3.0 equated to a B.  Not a B-.  Or am I that stupid?

Thank you though for letting me know that I should seek a response to my question elsewhere or at least on a more user friendly board. 

"You miss 100% of the shots you never take"
I am taking all the shots I can.
In:NYLS, Touro
Out: St. Johns, Brooklyn, Hofstra (Damn, Damn, Damn!!!)

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 20, 2006, 05:28:57 PM »
I have seen other posts similar to mine on other boards.  I will not apoligize for asking the question.  I was only seeking a general NOT specific answer. I know you nor anyone else can say. 
"Tymeless, you will rank 2/144." My school actually does not rank or post percentage until next year.

And by the way I thought 3.0 equated to a B.  Not a B-.  Or am I that stupid?

Thank you though for letting me know that I should seek a response to my question elsewhere or at least on a more user friendly board. 

You should ask your admissions/records office as to where your GPA fell on the curve for the class before you. That should give you a general idea as to where you stand in this years class.

HTH