Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone extremely disappointed by 1L grades? I am...  (Read 28255 times)

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone extremely disappointed by 1L grades? I am...
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 11:05:08 AM »
How about this one?

A students become professors
B students become judges
C students make all the money

Relax. There is an old joke. What do you call a c law student who graduates? A lawyer.
But really, some people just are not good at taking tests. You will probably do better in your other classes anyway

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006, 11:47:02 AM »
a siginficant majority of students will be disappointed by their 1L grades.

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2006, 12:38:29 PM »
Another adage:

Yea, 90% will be disappointed.

a siginficant majority of students will be disappointed by their 1L grades.

plutoeyore

• Sr. Citizen
  • My four babies and my reason for everything!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2006, 12:54:46 PM »
I am still waiting for my grades... but I fully expect to earn a C in torts... the essay was brutal and I just didn't perform well... 

Try not to let the C hang over our head... next semester you'll be sure to perform better, w/ expperience under your belt... and I would think most consider the 2nd semeter of 1L and final 1l cum gpa to be the benchmark....

Stats:  Berkeley GPA 3.53(3.54), LSAT 156
Attending:  Golden Gate(p/t)
Ding: Santa Clara University

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2006, 01:12:41 PM »
Air Force JAG Corps

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2006, 07:07:05 PM »
For transfer they'll probably look at your overall 1st year grades, not just first semester.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2006, 07:40:44 PM »
This is a bit of a lame question given that this is pretty subjective depending on the school but I'll take any educated guesses:

I ended up with a 3.3 at a school (T.T.T.) that has a 2.8 median and a 120 person 1L class.

Typically, would that be enough to land me in the top 15%? I was a bit disappointed that my crim came back lower and knocked me out of a 3.5 given that I have hoop dreams of transferring T1.

I have a month till rankings come out so I am trying to get a general idea of the boat I am in.

Thanks,
2-

Sorry Coxless Pair, I don't know what to tell you. (if you're the same one from the other board, you go to a school that starts with D right? I got placed on "hold" at that school but withdrew) I'm kinda in the same boat, but I attend a high T2 school. (not looking to transfer though)

The curve at my school is set at a C+. I ended up with a 85.8 GPA.(B+ is an 86)  Now this isn't all that bad in itself, but what really bites is that Dean's list is an 86.0 and above.

I guess I shouldn't be disappointed, but it really sucks when you just miss out on something. I found out today when my last grade came out. If I would have made just one point higher on it I would have made Dean's list....oh well.

I guess I could look at it like Cum Lad. at my school is only an 84.0 average, so I guess that's a positive. I have know idea what my class rank will be because of all the information I've seen, class rank is only published once a year....so many "but ifs"

whoknows573829

• View Profile
deleted
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2006, 08:01:48 PM »
deleted

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2006, 09:24:00 PM »
It depends on the distribution. That could put you in the top third, or even top 25%, if all of your classmates GPA's are congregated around 2.8.

I'd say you still have a pretty good shot at top 15-20% if you do really well next semester.

Congrats! At least your ahead of the curve. (I'm scared about my grades. They come out in a few days.)

This is a bit of a lame question given that this is pretty subjective depending on the school but I'll take any educated guesses:

I ended up with a 3.3 at a school (T.T.T.) that has a 2.8 median and a 120 person 1L class.

Typically, would that be enough to land me in the top 15%? I was a bit disappointed that my crim came back lower and knocked me out of a 3.5 given that I have hoop dreams of transferring T1.

I have a month till rankings come out so I am trying to get a general idea of the boat I am in.

Thanks,
2-

Villus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2006, 10:39:46 PM »
I've only gotten 2 grades so far (B, B+). I am not so worried because if I can come out of this semester with a 3.5 average, I know i can definitely pull it up by the end of next semester. A 3.5 at my school puts you about top 15%. That B was in a class that I thought I would absolutely get a C in, no question. It turned out I was wrong. I went in thinking that If I was not sitting near the top of the class, I would cry my eyes out. But now i'm not so worried if I end up in the top _% of the class. I would prefer top 10% though so that I can transfer.

good luck all