Law School Discussion

Anyone extremely disappointed by 1L grades? I am...

Re: Anyone extremely disappointed by 1L grades? I am...
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2006, 02:26:42 PM »
one thing about law school is the difficulty of assessing whether or not your study habits are on targett - at least not until exam day. So, after a review of your habits for each course, what did you do to get that A/A-/B+? did u study the night before the exam, or not? study group or on your own? commercial outlines? your own outlines? both? case briefing? how - highlight method of briefing directly in your casebook or other method? number of hours of reading for each course? What went wrong in the courses where you exam performance wasn't as great?

I know a lot depends on the individual, but any nuggets of wisdom are greatly appreciated. Hey - even those of you who felt you did crappy - what will you do differently this next semester?

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2006, 02:48:35 PM »
I've gotten all my grades but one, and I have 2 A- and 2 B+.  I did all of my reading, most over the weekend.  I copy and paste the lexis briefs in my notes, and for the most part, I book brief.  If there's any key rule or reasoning in the case, I'll add that into my notes, but otherwise I just write in the margins of the book and highlight.

I did all of my own outlines.  I was caught up and current with them by early to mid November.  Then jsut before Thanksgiving, I started meeting with a study group with 2 or 3 other people, but one other girl and I pretty much were the ones that showed up all the time.  We only did practice questions together.  For me, it was helpful in the beginning to learn how to work with the material to formulate answers.  But after a couple of weeks, it was mostly a motivational thing for me.  I'd want to watch TV or go out instead of do practice questions, but I knew that i was meeting with my study group the next day, so I'd work through the problems we'd agreed to do.

The other major thing that helped me applies to legal writing, one of my A-. I was really diligent about getting my memo done early.  I had my first draft done one week before the draft was due.  So I was editing and going to office hours to improve my "first" draft the entire week while many other classmates were finishing research or still drafting.  I was able to receive much better feedback on my "first" draft, and I feel like that made my final product much better. (and when we got our drafts and comments back, I started editing right away, and didn't put if off until the last minute)

I also did LEEWS, which I feel helped a lot when it came to actually writing the exam.

« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2006, 05:00:54 PM »
4 of 5 grades: B+, A-, A-, A

I did all my reading over the weekend.  Usually started with some kind of commercial outline/hornbook, then moved on to the assigned casebook readings.  The night before I would review for each class.  I basically copied the case briefs from the commercial outlines or Lexis, then did some form of book briefing. 

I didn't participate in a study group one single time last semester.  I didn't create my own outlines.  I used old ones and modified them to suit my needs.  For finals, I did tons of practice problems.  Not writing out an entire answer, but just the outline.  Probably  35 to 40 questions for each class. 

I never raised my hand once in class and I'm pretty sure when I was called on I sounded like a total retard. 

« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2006, 08:08:25 PM »
Wobble Wobble is dead on.
People focus on having the best outline or trying to sound good in class. God i dislike people who raise their hand. What is the point? yo ucan always email the profesor. Noone gives a rats ass about your conjecture you noisy overweight putz. But I digress...

Doing good in law school is doing well on exams...find every f'ing practice test you can and drill drill drill. Its kind of like an athletic event. You may read all about when and how you can run a marathon well but until you strap the shoes on and practice first, you dont know a damn thing.

« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2006, 06:40:00 AM »
So...is it fair to assume that, in those classes which are merely a continuation from fall ("Contracts II" "Torts II"), everything on the exam in December will be tested on the exam in June?

« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2006, 08:42:11 AM »
So...is it fair to assume that, in those classes which are merely a continuation from fall ("Contracts II" "Torts II"), everything on the exam in December will be tested on the exam in June?

No, that's not how my classes work.  For example, Contracts I was all about the formation of a contract, but in Contracts II we're learning how to break a contract.   

« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2006, 09:46:25 AM »
Still waiting on grades...  >:(

They are supposed to be in to the registrar by tomorrow. Now watch - the person who puts them in the system will probably be sick the rest of the week.  ???

« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2006, 02:48:49 PM »
what is the typical median for schools, most i hear like 2.67, maybe 3, well we just got class rank, and i think our school is like 3.2 as the median, which i though was high, anyone else have a high median, i guess they just want us to feel good about ourselves and inflate our grades,

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2006, 03:33:48 PM »
We're something like a 3.17 or .18.

dft

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2006, 08:46:29 PM »
2.67 curve here. pretty rough...

what is the typical median for schools, most i hear like 2.67, maybe 3, well we just got class rank, and i think our school is like 3.2 as the median, which i though was high, anyone else have a high median, i guess they just want us to feel good about ourselves and inflate our grades,