Law School Discussion

Anyone extremely disappointed by 1L grades? I am...

Re: Anyone extremely disappointed by 1L grades? I am...
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2006, 05:49:05 PM »
I think it really depends on a lot of factors, to tell you the truth.  Do you think you can pick it up?  Do you know where you went wrong last semester?

One of the smartest people I know messed up her 1st semester badly, but she ended up talking to her profs and figuring out the problem (she studied so hard, it wasn't lack of effort, just that she didn't really have her eye on the ball.)  She worked way too hard, didn't work smart and freaked out and bombed everything.  But she came out of it and got her dream job because she recognized what she did wrong and corrected herself.  If you can do that, stick it out. 

Of course the converse of that is that if you can't figure out what you did wrong and your profs can't help you with that you might want to think twice...

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2006, 12:34:10 PM »
Talk about disappointed, I just got my grades back A, B, B, and a D.  Where the hell did the D come from?

I mean my other grades show that I should have no trouble bringing it up since it was almost an anomaly, but I bet even with great grades this knocks me out of Law Review, maybe with perfect grades I can pull it.

So should I stop stressing out, or with a D on my record, is the stress warranted?

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2006, 03:01:32 PM »
I am pretty pleased- A, A minus, B, for a 3.6 overall.

Our curve is a 3.0; Does anyone have any insight on where that will rank me?  A classmate said that would be borderline top 15-20 percent.

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2006, 04:18:02 PM »
at my school (3.05 curve) that would put you just below top 10%

tacojohn

• "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2006, 07:16:32 AM »
I just keep telling myself that (aside from one test where I made a dumb mistake but was really only a fake final) I met my expectations last semester.  I felt I did just about as good as I can do.  I didn't work myself to the bone, but instead I worked hard yet kept my balance and sanity for the whole semester, right through finals.

The only problem is, this attitude is hard to keep up when I need to be in the top 25% in order to keep my scholarship, and if I lose it, there's no point in me being in law school.  I luckily have a nice little grade from my summer Crim Law class that will help me out, but I try to just say "You did everything you wanted to do, if they didn't like it, eff 'em."

S|

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2006, 07:55:55 AM »
"You did everything you wanted to do, if they didn't like it, eff 'em."

That's what I am telling myself as well. If you create a reasonable plan and execute that plan completely, then you really can't be down on yourself. Law school grades, in some respects, seem to be a bit arbitrary, so all you can do is focus on the things that you can control (reading, studying, practice exams, etc.) to give yourself the best shot at an A.

dft

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2006, 08:11:46 AM »
So far I have all my grades except Criminal Law. Crim is our most important class because it's the only one that we have a final grade in (it's a one semester course). All of our other grades are "midterms," and they only count for 25% of our grade.

So far, my grades are:

Torts: A
Property: B
Contracts: B-
Civ Pro: B-

We're on a pretty rough 2.7 (B-) curve, so I'm thinking this may put me in the top third, depending the spread of grades that the students in my section get.

They don't calculate our class rank until the end of the year. Anyone have a better estimate of my class rank or any insight on this?

S|

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2006, 08:41:08 AM »
mp,
Did you follow through on the PLS II method and LEEWS?

dft

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2006, 03:11:33 PM »
mp,
Did you follow through on the PLS II method and LEEWS?

Yea I did. I helped, but I think it will help more this semester.

S|

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2006, 03:38:51 PM »
Hmmm, so did you follow it completely? Prepping for all your classes during the summer, doing many practice exams, etc?

This isn't meant as an insult, but shouldn't all that work produce more than grades slightly better than the median? I mean, LEEWS alone guarentees Bs.

Would you say it was worth the work?