Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: patent bar study aides  (Read 848 times)

biolawgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
patent bar study aides
« on: January 04, 2006, 12:54:23 PM »
Hi. I have seen some posts about this when I searched, but there was no answer. I am planning on taking the patent bar this summer. Which home study kit is reccomended.  The prices for them seem out of control. Any advice please?  I'd like to do the cheapest Patbar.com which is 750.00 compared to the 2395 of BarBri, but I am worried that I won't be as prepared. Thanks
I love my philly phanatic :)

ChemDr

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: patent bar study aides
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 01:39:23 PM »
I passed the patent bar the first time round and when it just got harder (initial computer based exam problems etc). A piece of advixce: Just do Kayton's course and don't bother to buy new. I got a good deal on ebay (~650$). It was a 2001 version, but the rules do not change that drastically. If you know 1800 Qs in their working examples , you basically know in and out of the course. Try to get the video version and you'll really like to go through it. Finally this is how I studies:
First month or so, every evening, watch the video for 1 hr and do the exercises to that chapter. Then start doing workbook questions chapetr wise. I'll devote ~ 2hrs every eveing. Once the whole set was complete (~15 days) I started mixing them up or would download past exams from USPTO site and time them and do. There's a online site (upstartraising.com) where you pay $30 to get those exams online and a searchable MPEP that I also bought. It helped me simulate the exam conditions. In total I would say 3 months , 2 hrs every night initially during study and then 3 hrs for each practice exam , and you'll be all set. After the exam I came out with a feeling that no way I would have failed. that's the feeling you want! Hope this helps.

biolawgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 01:52:44 PM »
Thanks for the advice :)  That definitly seems helpful!!
I love my philly phanatic :)

norm012001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 02:18:02 PM »
It's really a test no one should fail.  The old exams have several repeated questions and all the information is in the MPEP, you just have to know how t find it.  I worked as an examiner, so I had a big head start, the most useful studying I did was with old exams and some study materials.  I took a class and it was a waste, but it probably would not have been if I had not been an examiner. 

You'll know before you take the exam whether you are going to pass or not.  You should be in the 80s on the practice exams I believe.

Like Chemdr, I left knowing I had passed, there's not a big time constraint, so I had plenty of time to look up answers I didn't know outright.  I would guess I scored in the 90s and I think anyone can with sufficient preparation.
3.19/165, 6yrs work experience, EE Master's

Accepted: GWU, GMU, American
Waitlist: Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Georgetown, UVa
Withdrawn: UNC (withdrew in mid March, tired of waiting)

lp4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • super genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 01:45:03 PM »
Question:

I'm an evening 3L about to graduate in December '06. I was planning on taking the Patent Bar at the end of this Summer.  However, I just found out through my school that there will be IP firm interviews at Loyola Chicago in August, and I need to have my resume handed in by mid April.  Even though I have a bunch of work experience as an engineer and CAD designer, I really want the Patent Bar on that resume for a competative advantage.  That gives me about 3 weeks to take the test, so the results will come in on time to be included in my resume.  I have already completed courses in both Patent law and Trademark law, and am taking a current course in patent application drafting.

My question is, what's a good study aid course that has CDs that I can listen to in my car (I have a lot of daily commute time that I want to use)?  My attention has been drawn toward Patbar.com so far.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
"What we do in life...echoes in eternity." -- Gladiator