Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What's good about being an attorney?  (Read 45673 times)

einszweidrei

• View Profile
Re: What's good about being an attorney?
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2006, 07:09:44 AM »
LOL tom! Sounds like Joan Crawford shouting "Why can't you give me the respect that I'm entitled to? Why can't you treat me like I would be treated by any stranger on the street?" ;)

Because I am NOT one of your fans!

;)

JBBroadShot

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2006, 09:03:40 AM »
Don't have the time to read all of the previous posts, so this may have already been said, but I worked as a paralegal at a top 5 firm before heading to law school.  Your hours can be just as unpredictable as an attorney's.  You may at times go home earlier depending on the situation, but if a deal comes up they need you to proof (corporate) or something actually goes to trial or a important brief is due (litigation) your ass is theirs.  I say if you can handle some hours and the monotoney, and get into a good law school (and in turn a good firm), just go for the lawyer route.  Same hours, better work, better future, much better pay.
UCLA '05 - Philosophy
HLS '09

TheSunDevil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2006, 02:49:36 PM »
better office furniture

sembrano

• View Profile
The Secret Cube
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2006, 08:59:10 PM »

bu

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2006, 09:06:58 PM »

"The law" is just some bull invented by people. It's not a legitimate academic field of study, like sociology or philosophy. There are no "right answers." You will learn how to justify any position, no matter how outrageous. You will hear these terms, among many others, until you want to f**cking puke: "public policy considerations," "reasonableness" and "balancing." You will seriously consider questions such as whether or not a four year old can batter an adult woman, without pausing to think about how absurd the question is in the first place. You will jettison any common sense, decency and fair-mindedness you once had and replace it with mechanical, pseudo-intellectual thought processes that do nothing to advance the quality of life in our society. Laws are written and applied arbitrarily. If not, they are applied depending on political considerations. Liberals and conservatives are equally guilty of this. "The law" is nothing more than a set of fictions agreed to by elites -- it is a giant lie.

Indeed, seine, that post is great! I guess the truth couldn't be spoken more eloquently!

boston08

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2006, 01:16:09 AM »
Indeed, seine, that post is great! I guess the truth couldn't be spoken more eloquently!

He was quoting me. And I was quoting someone else. See above.

dinas

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2006, 03:12:46 AM »
OK.
years to build it seconds to take it down

dslaw

• View Profile
THAT'S HOW IT DESERVES TO BE WRITTEN
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2006, 08:23:36 PM »
THE "LAW" IS JUST SOME bull INVENTED BY PEOPLE. IT'S NOT A LEGITIMATE ACADEMIC FIELD OF STUDY, LIKE SOCIOLOGY OR PHILOSOPHY. THERE ARE NO "RIGHT ANSWERS." YOU WILL LEARN HOW TO JUSTIFY ANY POSITION, NO MATTER HOW OUTRAGEOUS. YOU WILL HEAR THESE TERMS, AMONG OTHERS, UNTIL YOU WANT TO @ # ! * I N G PUKE: "PUBLIC POLICY CONSIDERATIONS," "REASONABLENESS" AND "BALANCING." YOU WILL SERIOUSLY CONSIDER QUESTIONS SUCK AS WHETHER OR NOT A 4-YEAR-OLD CAN BATTER AN ADULT WOMAN, WITHOUT PAUSING TO THINK ABOUT HOW ABSURD THE QUESTION IS IN THE FIRST PLACE. YOU WILL JETTISON ANY COMMON SENSE, DECENCY AND FAIR-MINDEDNESS YOU ONCE HAD AND REPLACE IT WITH MECHANICAL, PSEUDO-INTELLECTUAL THOUGHT PROCESSES THAT DO NOTHING TO ADVANCE THE QUALITY OF LIFE IN OUR SOCIETY. LAWS ARE WRITTEN AND APPLIED ARBITRARILY. IF NOT, THEY ARE APPLIED DEPENDING ON POLITICAL CONSIDERATIONS. LIBERALS AND CONSERVATIVES ARE EQUALLY GUILTY OF THIS. THE "LAW" IS NOTHING MORE THAN A SET OF FICTIONS AGREED TO BY ELITES -- IT IS A GIANT LIE.

cosė fan tutte

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2006, 08:32:45 PM »

OK.

build what, take down what, dinas?

MacDonaldTrifecta

• View Profile
Re: The more things change the more they are the same
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2006, 07:21:16 AM »
Here it is another approximation:

Obsessive-Compulsive personality
 Conscientious Style
 Diligent
 1w2, 1w9

Compensatory Narcissistic personality (not in DSM-Axis II)
 Variant of Self-Confident Style
 -
 3w4

Phallic Narcissistic personality
 Self-Confident Style
 Visionary
 3w2

Dependent personality
 Devoted Style
 Kinsman
 6w7

Borderline personality
 Mercurial Style
 Eccentric
 7w6

Paranoid personality
 Vigilant Style
 Sentinel
 6w5, 8w9

Passive-Agressive personality
 Leisurely Style
 Philosopher
 9w8

Anti-Social personality
 Adventurous Style
 Extremist
 7w8

Schizoid personality
 Solitary Style
 Sage
 5w6

Schizotypical personality
 Idiosyncratic Style
 Evokateur
 5w4

Hysterical personality
 Dramatic Style
 Healer
 2w3, 4w3

Avoidant personality
 Sensitive Style
 Scintilator
 4w5

Masochistic/Self -defeating personality
 Self-Sacrificing Style
 Empath
 2w1

Sadistic personality
 Agressive Style
 Realist
 8w7

Depressive personality
 Serious Style
 Idealist
 9w1

-- Visionary

Contrary to popular opinion, serial killers are rarely insane or motivated by hallucinations and/or voices in their heads. Many claim to be, usually as a way of trying to get acquitted by reason of insanity. There are, however, a few genuine cases of serial killers who were compelled by such delusions.

Herbert Mullin slaughtered 13 people after voices told him that murder was necessary to prevent California from suffering an earthquake. (Mullin went to great pains to point out that California did indeed avoid an earthquake during his murder spree.)

Ed Gein claimed that by eating the corpses of women who looked like his deceased mother, he could preserve his mother's soul inside his body. He killed two women who bore passing resemblances to his mother, eating one and being apprehended while in the process of preparing the second woman's body for consumption. He also used the flesh of exhumed corpses to fashion a "woman suit" for himself so that he could "become" his mother, and carried on conversations with himself in a falsetto voice. After his arrest he was placed in a mental facility for the remainder of his life.

-- Missionary

So-called missionary killers believe that their acts are justified on the basis that they are getting rid of a certain type of person (often prostitutes or members of a certain ethnic group), and thus doing society a favor. Gary Ridgway and Aileen Wuornos are often described as missionary killers. In Wuornos' case, the victims were not prostitutes, but their patrons. Missionary killers differ from other types of serial killer in that their motive is generally non-sexual. Arguably, Jack the Ripper also fits this role.

-- Hedonistic

This type kills for the sheer pleasure of it, although what aspect they enjoy varies. Yang Xinhai's post capture statement is typical of such killers' attitudes: "When I killed people I had a desire [to kill more]. This inspired me to kill more. I don't care whether they deserve to live or not. It is none of my concern"[1]. Some killers may enjoy the actual "chase" of hunting down a victim more than anything, while others may be primarily motivated by the act of torturing and abusing the victim while they are alive. Yet others, like Jeffrey Dahmer, may kill the victim quickly, almost as if it were a chore, and then indulge in necrophilia or cannibalism with the body. Usually there is a strong sexual aspect to the crimes, even if it may not be immediately obvious, but some killers obtain a surge of excitement that is not necessarily sexual, such as Berkowitz, who got a thrill out of shooting young couples in cars at random and then running away without ever physically touching the victims.

-- Gain motivated

Most criminals who commit multiple murders for material ends (such as mob hit men) are not classed as serial killers, because they are motivated by economic gain rather than psychopathological compulsion.[citation needed] There is a fine line separating such killers, however. For example, Marcel Petiot, who operated in Nazi-occupied France, could be classified as a serial killer. He posed as a member of the French Resistance and lured wealthy Jewish people to his home, claiming he could smuggle them out of the country. Instead he murdered them and stole their belongings, killing 63 people before he was finally caught. Although Petiot's primary motivation was materialistic, few would deny that a man willing to slaughter so many people simply to acquire a few dozen suitcases of clothes and jewelry was a compulsive killer and psychopath. However, it is impossible to understand the true motivation in such cases.

-- Power/control

This is the most common serial killer. Their main objective for killing is to gain and exert power over their victim. Such killers are sometimes abused as children, which means they feel incredibly powerless and inadequate, and often they indulge in rituals that are linked, often very specifically, to forms of abuse they suffered themselves. One killer, for example, forced young girls to perform oral sex on him, after which he would spank the girl before finally strangling her. After capture, the killer claimed that when he was a child his older sister would force him to perform oral sex on her, then she would spank him in order to terrify him into not telling their parents.[citation needed] The ritual he performed with his victims would negate the humiliation he felt from his abuse as a child, although such relief would only be temporary, and like other such killers, he would soon feel compelled to repeat his actions until eventual capture. (The vast majority of child abuse victims do not become serial killers, of course, meaning that such abuse is not regarded as the sole trigger of such crimes in these cases.) Many power/control-motivated killers sexually abuse their victims, but they differ from hedonistic killers in that rape is not motivated by lust but as simply another form of dominating the victim.

Some serial killers may seem to have characteristics of more than one type. For example, British killer Peter Sutcliffe appeared to be both a visionary and a mission-oriented killer in that he claimed voices told him to clean up the streets of prostitutes.

Alternatively, another school of thought classifies motive as being one of three types: need, greed, or power.