Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What's good about being an attorney?  (Read 43321 times)

cushions are defective

• View Profile
The Benevolent 'Pedagogue' of Humanity
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2006, 08:09:49 AM »
Great article. The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator is actually really well-founded and is a useful tool.

What's your type? http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

Vivian, INFJ  :-*

My type was ENFJ

moderately expressed extrovert

distinctively expressed intuitive personality

slightly expressed feeling personality

slightly expressed judging personality

Wild Jack Maverick

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I think I know the formula..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What's good about being an attorney?
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2006, 03:08:47 PM »

Law and Chess are very similar.

Why lawyers arenít normal
http://www.legalweekstudent.net/ViewItem.asp?id=19311

I haven't checked out the link yet, but I think that the most common characteristic found among law students is that we are all over achievers. We'll do whatever it takes, w/in the bounds of ethics, to win or make the deal go through. We're politely aggressive.

I would not use the term "over achievers," which means that a person is performing at a level beyond their tested capabilities. For example, I suppose most law students have rather high IQ's, therefore it is normal for them to have the mental capability of studying, understanding and practicing law.

I have noticed many arguments against online law schools. I suppose I should remind some of the posters that there are many who have the mental capabilities of studying law, but perhaps not other qualifications such as the ability to relocate or commute, the lack of other commitment which would allow them to put full effort into law school, or the physical stamina which would assist them in acquiring the regular three year degree, or a four year degree (part time). And then, there are some who want to study law simply because they enjoy learning.
"I enjoy being in school. I've learned so much already, with taking economics and law, and I have marketing and statistics coming up next."

thewaysupposedtobe

• View Profile
"Field Marshall"
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2006, 06:22:57 PM »
Great article. The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator is actually really well-founded and is a useful tool.

What's your type? http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

Vivian, INFJ  :-*

My type appears to be ENTJ

Enneagram type: 3, variant: sexual (sx/so/sp)

Wild Jack Maverick

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I think I know the formula..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2006, 06:46:54 PM »
It seems a lot of people complain that law school and life as an attorney involves a lot stress, long hours, and depression.  I got a decent LSAT score but I've lately been thinking I would rather be a paralegal because I can still work in law but I would also have time to do other stuff like play with my future kids, sit on the couch and drink beer, and read mystery novels, etc.

So, I'm wondering what the draw is for you current students.  Besides high salaries, what about working as a lawyer attracts you to the career despite the negatives?  A ton of people go to law school, so there must be some good things I haven't thought of yet.

Valence x Expectancy x Instrumentality = Motivation

Valence (Reward) = the amount of desire for a goal (What is the reward?)
Expectancy (Performance) = the strength of belief that work related effort will result in the completion of the task (How hard will I have to work to reach the goal?)
Instrumentality (Belief) = the belief that the reward will be received once the task is completed (Will they notice the effort I put forth?)
"I enjoy being in school. I've learned so much already, with taking economics and law, and I have marketing and statistics coming up next."

bis

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2006, 07:36:22 PM »
Here it is a great test for you fellas interested in this sorta thing

http://personal.ansir.com/

Pittman2

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2006, 09:06:26 PM »
This isn't one of those "free" online tests, like some online IQ tests, where one completes the questions but then must pay to get the result (e.g. score), is it?

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2006, 05:57:00 PM »
This isn't one of those "free" online tests, like some online IQ tests, where one completes the questions but then must pay to get the result (e.g. score), is it?

that's what i was subconsciously thinking when i quickly glanced over that post.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2006, 06:02:46 PM »
If you are now aware that you were thinking it, was it really a subconscious thought? Shouldn't it beyond the reach of voluntary recall?
Air Force JAG Corps

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2006, 06:12:24 PM »
If you are now aware that you were thinking it, was it really a subconscious thought? Shouldn't it beyond the reach of voluntary recall?

i considered going to the site while thinking briefly about it but then, without realizing the reason why, decided not to go and closed out the thread. then when i saw the above post, i realized the precise reason why i didn't want to go to the site. actually it may not have been the precise reason. i may have been worried that i would have to waste my time filling out some crap (without having to pay) just to take the survey.

how's law school goin anyway coxless?

lp

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2006, 06:00:28 AM »
I don't know about you guys but the ANSIR test appears to be frighteningly true!