Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Questions for People Who Have Transferred.  (Read 2320 times)

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Questions for People Who Have Transferred.
« on: January 03, 2006, 01:03:27 PM »

Is there a huge difference between your first and second semester
performance as a 1L?

There is so much uncertainty when it comes to tranferring. Most
tranferers have to apply when they only have their first semester grade
and only know 50% of their applicantion strenght, unlike law school
applicants who already know their GPA and LSAT scores.

What if you need top 20% grade to get accepted to school X and after
the first semester you are only in the top 30%, would you still apply
to school X? What if you were only in top 40%, 50%, or 60%?

anna13

• View Profile
Re: Questions for People Who Have Transferred.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 10:43:30 AM »
All but one of the schools I applied to transfer to required applicants finish the first year before applying. All but one of them did not even accept transfer apps until something like May or June. There was one, I believe, that would "conditionally" accept a transfer after the first semester, but I think that school still required applicants complete the first year before the transfer.

Grade-wise, I did really well my first semester, and then slipped a bit second semester. I didn't have any trouble getting into the schools I applied to transfer to, but then I didn't apply to transfer to any of the so-called top ten.

AmericanConsumer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 02:51:53 AM »
My grades actually went up after the first semester.  I applied after I got my grades.  Applications aren't due at a lot of places until July 1st, and you should get your 1L grades a few weeks before that. 

If you go to the transfer database here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transferapps
you can get a sense of where you need to be.

oxytocin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 02:46:21 AM »
Usually not. I'd tend to believe you might go up/down by not more than 10 percentage points. But there are always exceptions ..

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 02:02:50 AM »
Usually not. I'd tend to believe you might go up/down by not more than 10 percentage points. But there are always exceptions ..

Not true at my school. Our first semester grades are only mid-terms that count as 25%. Then again, they don't give us a class rank, (or even an official GPA) because the grades aren't official yet. I've got like a 3.0 on a 2.7 curve at this point (probably like top 35%) but I think I can definitely get into the top 20%.

S|

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 02:59:35 PM »
We received our grades this week and I have a 3.93.  I thought that the stress would go away if I did well; however, now I live in fear of not repeating this semester.

I am sure that there are a lot of past law students who did well their first semester and flopped their second. I just hope that the stress subsides and I can stop asking myself whether I am working hard enough.

nate

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 03:08:12 PM »
snough,

are you considering transferring?
GW

lawgirl21

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 03:11:51 PM »
I'm in the same boat as MP...  this semester was just a portion of my grade and only one grade was final..

My final grade was an A, so technically I have a 4.0..  But my midterm grades averaged out to be a high B..  Talk about a false sense of security!

I'm at a T3 and I'm thinking about transferring..  Any thoughts on whether or not this is a good idea?? My LSAT scores are well over the 25% range for this school (I came here cause of the scholarship and to live w/my significant other)

Seems like LSAT scores can play a minor role in distinguishing you from the next person..
GPA: 3.6
LSAT: 154, then 159

S|

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 03:26:36 PM »
nate,

I don't see how I couldn't at least consider transfering. I couldn't happier with my professors, the administration, etc.  On the other hand, my wife is attending graduate school too; her program is unranked and doesn't even offer her desired concentration.  Unlike me, she got into top 10 schools, so I have felt guilty for subjecting her to a sub-par acedemic experience.

I will have to weigh all the options and make the final decision after next semester.

nate

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 03:46:55 PM »
nate,

I don't see how I couldn't at least consider transfering. I couldn't happier with my professors, the administration, etc.  On the other hand, my wife is attending graduate school too; her program is unranked and doesn't even offer her desired concentration.  Unlike me, she got into top 10 schools, so I have felt guilty for subjecting her to a sub-par acedemic experience.

I will have to weigh all the options and make the final decision after next semester.

well you definitely should consider transferring. i understand the situation you're in with your girlfriend is difficult. my own girlfriend will be in a semi-similar situation next year. do you happen to know if it's possible for grad students to transfer?

but i was just going to say, there are "early action" opportunities that you can take advantage of having only this semester's grades.
GW