Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Commercial Supplements??  (Read 825 times)

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Commercial Supplements??
« on: January 03, 2006, 03:25:07 AM »
need a few recs:

1) Business Orginizations/Corporations
2) Internet Law
3) Trusts and Estates
4) Legislation

Whats study aides (gilberts, Lexis Understanding Series, etc) are good for these bad boys?
check the footnotes ya'll

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Commercial Supplements??
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 06:27:47 PM »
I normally use the Understanding series and love them most of the time. I bought it for Business Orgs/Corporations but I didn't really like it for that class (I think it was more a problem with an extremely unconventional prof and a bad case book rather than a problem with the Understanding book).

I didn't see the Understanding series for Wills but that could have just been because my bookstore did not carry it. I bought Emmanuel instead and I did really like it (it also saved me big time by covering an issue we really didn't cover in class but one that showed up in an essay on the exam and happened to be something really wierd).

I haven't taken the other courses. Overall, I've been pretty satisfied with the Understanding series and Emmanuel for all of my courses.

singh-a-song

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 12:18:17 AM »
 i like the high court case summaries.they are keyed directly to your textbook and they provide an outline in with the BLL from every chapter (giving you the "big" picture). Other than that i like Examples and Explanations. I have also heard that the understanding series by Lexis is good. Hope this helps

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 11:46:16 AM »
When you take classes other than the first year curriculum and a few most common upper level (corporations, trusts, evidence), you're going to have to move away from commercial supplements in order to do well in the class.  So, a course like Internet Law requires a little extra effort.  Case reading, on Lexis or Westlaw, using Shepards or KeyCite; treatises; and law review articles are helpful.  They are also better resources for actually learning the law.

What case book are you using for Corporations?