Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1.5L's: What do you think about LS after the first semester?  (Read 2523 times)

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
1.5L's: What do you think about LS after the first semester?
« on: December 30, 2005, 11:11:08 PM »
As far as I know everyone is finnished...so how did everyone like their first semester of law school?  What was your favorite and least favorite thing about law school?  Are you going to do anything different next semester?

I really enjoyed my first semester.  Infact, it was one fo the best "academic" experience of my life.  Socially, it wasn't so great.  I don't have any clue how my grades will turn out, but I am at least glad that I have really enoyed the experience.

My favorite thing about law school was Contracts and my least favorite things were having to write a memo for my legal research final in 24 hours and my Civ Pro final.:'(

Things I am going to do different in the spring semester:
1) Start my outlines early in the semester and review them on a regular basis
2) Pay attention in Legal Research
3) Go out more early in the semester
Attending: Texas

starter

• View Profile
Re: 1.5L's: What do you think about LS after the first semester?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 12:34:09 AM »
I'm thinking that I don't like my civ pro grade very much.  It puts me in the bottom 3rd of the class.  Oh happy day!

melloo653

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm on the left, only blonde now.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 09:43:20 AM »
shouldn't it be .5L's and not 1.5L's?  Just asking ;D
Off to Campbell!

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 10:29:48 AM »
shouldn't it be .5L's and not 1.5L's?  Just asking ;D

I see what you're saying. You mean that we only completed one-half of our first year so we should be considered 0.5L's.

However, Eliza is referring to us as 1.5L's because, as you know, first-year law students are called "1L's," while second year law students are called "2L's." We are half-way between 1L and 2L; hence, the "1.5L" term.

lawschoolmama

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 04:41:23 PM »
Get in a study group early on.  My best friends at law school are the type who like to study on their own.  They are talented enough to read it and absorb it.  I did horribly on midterms  - what a wake up call, and hooked up with an awesome group after Thanksgiving and did quite well. 

Other lessons learned......
Outline earlier, brief less, don't worry so much about being prepared for class, be more concerned if I don't understand something in class, review every week, legal writing is a giant pain in the ass, outsiders actually think we know something after only one semester of law school!

It will never be as hard as it was the first 8 - 10 weeks of school - we now have a clue and know what the teachers want from us.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 11:11:23 PM »
I don't necessarily buy the study group thing.  I have no idea what the hell it is people are doing in study groups in October.  What a waste of time, in my opinion.  My study group didn't meet until just before Thanksgiving.  We all made our own outlines  (DO NOT split outlining up amongst your group.  The very act of making an outline and reviewing is what's valuable), and then we shared them when we were done to check that we hadn't missed anything on our own.  The other 3 people in my group were up to date on their outlines, so we were able to focus on learning the outlines and doing hypos for a solid 2-3 weeks before exams.  That was a huge help.

Otherwise, I completely agree w/ lawschoolmama.  And yes, after first semester, you do have a clue about what teachers are looking for.  So do most other people though, so even though its tempting to start slacking off a bit next semester, I fully plan on keep up the same study schedule to stay competitive.

tag

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 12:57:43 PM »
Loved it. My only complaint would be the structure of legal writing. It would not be so bad if all the assignments were not given and due right before finals. I don't buy into the group study thing either. I went to a one-hour review session with a friend the night before a final and it was scary to see that everyone was either still working on their outline or abandoned the idea of an outline weeks ago. Even scarier than being the only one prepared in that group was that I was the only non-Ivy undergrad in the room. Go figure.

The only adjustment I am going to make is to begin doing hypos on a daily basis 3-4 weeks before the finals.

Incursion

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 01:13:59 PM »
I'm in section 3 at UT.  I was loving law school until the pressure started to hit in mid-November.  I already got my Ks grade, which was both relieving and inspiring.  I'm satisfied with my grade considering how much I studied.  At the same time, I think if I put in more time, I can do much better.
3.97/157/166

lawschoolmama

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 05:10:43 PM »
my study group consisted of 2 other people.  We did our own outlines, but just started talking about the whole course from beginning to end - we put in 10 hour days - we were fortunate enough to have 2 - 3 days between finals.  I found I needed to see the info, hear the info, write the info, and talk about the info.  I was fortunate because the other 2 people also found that this system worked for them.  But then again, everyone is very different.  I think it is a waste to have a study group to prepare for class, but will try and do review sessions with my group every Friday morning just to make sure we are all getting teh same info out of classes.

I was petrified about being put on probation - I don't know if I put it on this post, but my school puts you on probation at 2.5 and you are out 2.1.  I don't want to hear how unfair it is for a T4 to do this, blah blah blah.  THis is the school that I am at, and there is nothing I can do about it.  Everyone told me I would be fine, and I didn't believe them.  And lo and behold they were right.  The funny thing is my best grades were in Legal Writing and Civ Pro, both of which I struggled with during the semester.  I had been out of school for 15 years, so my writing skills are more than rusty....  Torts was my worst grade, which seemed like the easiest class to me, so you just never know.

We were lucky enough to get our grades by Dec 16 - I can't imagine not knowing until January!!!

BigTex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 05:41:02 PM »
my tweak: no more outlining. Commercial outlines track the courses just fine. I'll use the extra time to work short answer and sample essays. I know the conventional wisdom is "outlining yourself helps you learn the material". Though true, i found working problems and sample exams much more helpful in that regard.