Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Concord Graduate Job Prospects  (Read 5277 times)

dmcnama

• View Profile
    • Email
Concord Graduate Job Prospects
« on: December 30, 2005, 02:06:45 PM »
I am currently 1L at Concord Law School and have serious concern about the prospects for employment after graduation with their J.D.  I honestly believe they have a very thorough and comprehensive program, comparable to any other non-ABA schools.  However, to successfully undertake the FYLSX and CA Bar is an awful lot of effort and tuition only to be told I have a Cracker Jack Box J.D. after graduation.  I am not seeking this degree to "move up" in my company or increase my own personal awareness of the law but rather to change careers entirely.

I realize I would never be hired by a large law firm, nor am I seeking such a career path. But would a small law firm or a Public Defender's or District Attorney's office ever hire anyone with an online distance learning diploma?  I've considered putting out my own shingle, but that would be unwise without any "hands on" experience.  Does anyone have any first hand experience as a Concord graduate with a similar career goal?

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
Re: Concord Graduate Job Prospects
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 03:00:30 AM »
I'd assume that your best bet would be gov.  I'd email or call the local PD or DA's office and just ask them if they consider non-aba graduates that pass the CA bar.  If they do, then I'd try to get an internship so that you can start networking because you'll definitely need it. 

If they don't, then I can only see two options.  One is to use your alumni network from your school (which I assume is pretty small but better than nothing) and try to volunteer with one of them and get some experience.  The second option is to get a corp job as whatever, then when you graduate, try to transfer into their legal department.  After several years, hopefully you will have gained the experience and networking needed to start your own business. 

chaser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 01:57:33 PM »
I agree with the above advice.

It just should be noted that hanging out your own shingle, advertising, and working your @$$ off is an OPTION...

After all, "Are you qualified?" is a circular question--you are qualified because the California Bar SAID SO!!
"Civilization is the process of reducing the infinite to the finite."  Oliver Wendell Holmes

Wild Jack Maverick

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I think I know the formula..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 05:07:10 PM »
I suppose there is the possibility of groups of DL law graduates forming their own law firms. Each of the lawyers would benefit from the shared knowledge, specializations and experience of the others.

Gosh, why didn't I think of that before?!?
"I enjoy being in school. I've learned so much already, with taking economics and law, and I have marketing and statistics coming up next."

duckasourus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 06:58:34 PM »
id stop drop out retake the lsat and try to get into a real law school.  firms all want aba schools and even the govt frowns upon non aba schools, as you said However, to successfully undertake the FYLSX and CA Bar is an awful lot of effort and tuition only to be told I have a Cracker Jack Box J.D. and well thats what it will be

dmcnama

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 06:52:49 PM »
Thank you all for your responses and advice.  If I had the option to attend an ABA school, I would do so in a heartbeat.  The caveat I failed to mention is that I live in a fairly isolated area geographically and access to higher tiered schools is virtually impossible in my position.  Moving to an area with an ABA law school is out of the question due to the demands of my work and committment to my family.  As a social worker dealing primarily in the juvenile justice system, I work closely with local attorneys, some who are ABA graduates, but many who attended smaller, non-ABA, state accredited schools.  There are even a few local attorneys who studied law under the supervision of an attorney.

The realization and understanding of the difficulty I may encounter in the future with my distance learning law degree is practical.  However, I reasonably believe my established relationships with those in the legal community may be to my benefit.  Given my personal circumstances, I am committed to completing this rigorous and highly self-disciplined approach to the study of law.  I firmly believe it is possible, but not easy, to go forward and kick some serious ass out there.

Thanks again to you all who helped inspire some thought in my engagement of self-inventory.

elemnopee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 09:08:24 PM »
I'd be more worried about passing the bar

dmcnama

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 08:46:38 PM »
Of course, passing the Bar Exam is the great equalizer.  One thought; it would be interesting to see how many of those who attend ABA accredited and state only accredited schools, not required to take the Baby Bar in California, would actually pass it.  If distance education schools can never be accepted by the ABA, I wonder if the ABA would consider making ALL law students, regardless of where they attend school, to take the Baby Bar.  It makes perfect sense to me.  Just a thought.

Best of luck and positive vibrations to those who will begin taking the California Bar Exam tomorrow!!!!!!!!! ;D

elemnopee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 03:06:50 AM »
Of course, passing the Bar Exam is the great equalizer.  One thought; it would be interesting to see how many of those who attend ABA accredited and state only accredited schools, not required to take the Baby Bar in California, would actually pass it.  If distance education schools can never be accepted by the ABA, I wonder if the ABA would consider making ALL law students, regardless of where they attend school, to take the Baby Bar.  It makes perfect sense to me.  Just a thought.

Best of luck and positive vibrations to those who will begin taking the California Bar Exam tomorrow!!!!!!!!! ;D

then why even have a baby bar?

eeklaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2006, 10:52:18 AM »
The day will come when even Concord will be approved by the ABA.  Then the stigma will be gone.  I predict within the next 5-7 years.