Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Widener DE-Fall 2006  (Read 4800 times)

kmpnj

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • law school numbers
    • Email
Widener DE-Fall 2006
« on: December 29, 2005, 07:08:16 PM »
I have been accepted to Widener for the fall 2006 semester.  Because of various circumstances, I will probably be attending the Delaware campus this fall and was wondering if anyone else was attending currently who could provide me with some information about the school (professors, classes, library and facilities, etc).  Also, I'm looking for anyone who will be starting at Widener in the fall, so that I'll know someone there.

lawmom622

• View Profile
Re: Widener DE-Fall 2006
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 12:26:37 PM »
I attend widener and am in my last year. I am assuming you will be going full-time? The DE campus is nice but it is small. Classes are held in either one of 2 buildings. The Law building is the newer building and is very nice, and it houses the library. I have found the library to be great overall (except for the old copy machines they have) and there is a room where you can print lexis and westlaw docs for free. There are also various study rooms and plenty of places to actually study if you cant get a room (The study rooms are used for groups of 2 or more and during exams can be hard to get) Other than that I have found the library has a pretty extensive collection of materials and have rarely had a probelm finding something I needed.

The campus has wireless internet which is nice if you will be using a laptop however the signal out of the law building (In the other building where classes are held) is horrible if not non-existant.

As for classes, your first semester full time I believe will typically consist of Civil Procedure, Torts, Property 1, and Legal Methods 1 which is 15 credits (or used to be unless they have changed things which I dont think they have). It is hard to say about professors until I know who you will actually have which wont be probably till spring time (late Apr/May.) You will not have a choice your first year of classes/schedule as they register you automatically and are basically stuck where they put you (unless you can convince them to switch you to another section which I did once and it was not a big deal) As with any school I am sure, there are great profs there, and not so great profs. I have been fortunate to have had mostly good professors but I have had some who I question why they teach, because they dont get their point across rather easily. But again I am sure you will find this no matter where you are.There is a wide variety of elective classes offered and I have never had a problem finding classes that interested me subject-matterwise

Widener has a rather harsh curve for 1L's (c+) so unless you are in the top of your class, expect mediocre grades your first year but after that the curve is higher and things seem to get better (at least they did for me)

The students are generally very nice and the faculty mostly seem willing to go out of their way to help you if you need it. Other than that I dont really know what else I can tell you but if you have more specific questions, please feel free to ask.

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 09:49:34 AM »
Ditto everything Lawmom said.  I'm very happy at Widener (I'm a 1L), but some students are not because (1) Widener is the only school they got into and they think they're "above" Widener and bitter they go there or (2) Widener is the only school they got into and they are working their butts off to get good enough grades to transfer (with the evil Widener curve, there's a lot of added pressure for the transfer-hungry).  These unhappy, bitter people are a little tough to take day in and day out, believe me!  If the above are the "certain circumstances" making you go to Widener, either rethink your decision to go to Widener or make peace with your decision before you arrive.  The other folks in your section will thank you.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

NightOwl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 10:35:51 PM »
I'm also a 1L, and very, very happy.  I would second the comments above.  I was really surprised comparing my experience first semester with that of friends starting at other schools -- *aside from the curve* (which is a big aside, admittedly), I think Widener does a lot to make the first semester as low-stress as possible.  Having one less doctrinal class than most 1Ls have to start out with is a *huge* help.

All of my professors were great last semester -- incredibly available and willing to help outside of class, and not one abuser of the Socratic method among them -- but I do know that I may just have gotten lucky on the professor lottery.

Senior Belding

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 10:52:28 PM »
I know three high school buddies who went there. I personally live in wilmington, DE right now.

Forget social life. Delaware is pretty much dead outside of newark and some nights in wilmington.

They all hated it because, according to them, noone goes to widener by choice.

If you want to work in delaware..go for it.

kmpnj

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • law school numbers
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 09:00:06 PM »
My "various circumstances" are my wife's job and the fact that I really have no desire to relocate.  The more I look into Widener, I'm really excited about going there.  I do have a question about the curve.  That question is whether or not the notorious Widener curve is known among prospective employers?  In other words, will employers cut you some slack because of the curve?  Also, how do they place in prosecutor's offices?  My dream is to work in the US Atty's office or in the Philadelphia District Attorney's office. 

Thanks for the discussion so far.

kmpnj

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • law school numbers
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 01:42:24 AM »
This thread has been inactive for a few weeks, so I thought I'd revive it.  I'm about 90% sure that I will be attending Widener-DE this fall.  Anyone else on this board attending the Delaware campus in the fall?  Also, for anyone going through their 1L, how is it so far?  Any advice, feedback or information you folks could provide would be highly appreciated.

planejane

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 08:01:28 PM »
I am looking at applying to Widener Law.  Do they accept first year students in the Spring semester? 

Thanks!

hotdiggity

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 11:22:39 PM »
I am most likely going to attend widener in the fall as well, and i've talked to a few D.A's who went there and they loved it.  if you're looking to get into the philly da's office, it's a good school to go to, i believe it's the 2nd biggest feeder school for that office  I am an intern at that office currently and i it's a nice place to work, not good pay though

ajiddy

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 06:37:20 PM »
i got admitted to their tap program in delaware, anyone have an relative info on the program besides courses we have to take?