Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Quick Exams Question from a soon-to-be 1L  (Read 1992 times)

TheJesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Quick Exams Question from a soon-to-be 1L
« on: December 26, 2005, 07:23:06 PM »
I was just curious about this...

When extensive writing is required on a law school exam(as opposed to multiple choice exams), are you usually required to do the writing by hand in a Blue Book or something similar or are students usually allowed to use a computer to type out their answers?

My girlfriend is a current 1L and her school has a computer program that they install on student laptops that allows students to type their answers but doesn't allow them to use any other resource on their computer (such as the Internet or an outline) if the test is not open note...

I'd have to imagine that every school might be different, but is this the norm?

SLJ0720

• View Profile
Re: Quick Exams Question from a soon-to-be 1L
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 08:07:54 PM »
At my school you can write your exam in a bluebook or use a computer program like your girlfriend's school.  I think most schools have similar policies.

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 08:52:00 PM »
At my school you can write your exam in a bluebook or use a computer program like your girlfriend's school.  I think most schools have similar policies.

affirmed.

TheJesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 02:08:02 PM »
Thanks for the info...

Anyone else?

sahm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 02:29:07 PM »
My school also allows students to write their exams in a bluebook or to use their laptop.
Curiosity killed the cat, but for awhile I was a suspect.

-S.W.

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 02:40:57 PM »
At Fordham, the first year exams are still all bluebook.  But I think that may change in the next few years.
Many of the upper level exams are available to take by computer, with a system called SecureExam. When you are taking it on SecureExam, you cannot access anything else on your laptop.  If it's open book (which most exams at Fordham are), you have to bring in your hard materials. 
If you have the option to take an exam on computer, I suggest that you do it.

gmon72

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 09:32:05 PM »
blue book or pc at rutgers.  90% of students use laptops.  HAndwriting for 4 hours straight is no fun!

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 10:38:54 PM »
at albany, all the first year exams are offered on ExamSoft (a program that locks you out of everything on your computer, while you take the exam), and it is up to the professor in 2nd and 3rd year classes.
check the footnotes ya'll

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2005, 11:33:20 PM »
Choices at my school are own laptop (generally locked out, but depends on prof.), lab computer (same as laptop on the lockout), or handwrite. With the exception of one course that had to be handwritten, I do the lab computer.

MichaelK

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2005, 11:55:06 PM »
Choices were Bluebook or Laptop w/ SecureExam.  Though it was not as tough here to write exams because 2 of my 4 exams contained multiple choice sections and none of the exams can be longer than 3 hours.  It also helped that my exams that were all essay involved at least 4 questions each (reading fact patterns gives your hand a much needed break!)
Current 1L