Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Fall 2006 1Ls  (Read 10332 times)

Fawn06

• View Profile
Fall 2006 1Ls
« on: December 26, 2005, 06:33:27 PM »
I am hoping to get some dialogue going with any other 1Ls attending MSU Law this coming year.  I will be continuing to work full time as a biochemist in Ann Arbor & applied to all of the 'commutable' part time programs.  I have been accepted to UT, Wayne State & MSU...and I have been most impressed with MSU.  I really have a good feeling about their program in spite of what I have read on this site.  So any other fellow peers out there?

TheJesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Fall 2006 1Ls
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 05:46:22 PM »
Sorry, I didn't apply to MSU, but I will probably be attending Wayne next year...what made you chose MSU over Wayne

Fawn06

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 08:56:20 PM »
It has been a tough decision & I have yet to send in my seat deposit but I am fairly sure that I will be choosing MSU.  State's/DCL standards have risen every year both years that they have been affiliated with each other, their IP program is ranked in the top 20 (US News), the Dean & other faculty have impressed me as well as the campus & classrooms.  Wayne just seems to be highly disorganized...the atmosphere was so different than MSU's.  I just have a better feel for MSU but I'm not sure if the above statements are what I should be basing my decision on.  I've heard that Wayne has a stronger alumni base & as I do intend on staying in the general area perhaps this should carry more weight. 

How did you decide to attend Wayne?  I would really appreciate your input.  Thanks in advance.

Senior Belding

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 09:19:45 PM »
UT=what?

IP rankings mean very little. Do you havea  technical degree?

Frappe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 10:42:37 PM »
UT=what?

IP rankings mean very little. Do you havea  technical degree?

I think UT= University of Toledo

FSUGeoff

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - FSUGeoff06
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 08:18:39 PM »
I have been accepted to MSU, and am excited, but its my first acceptence. (I was deferred at UM, and am still waiting on PSU,Hofstra,Syracuse and LSU) I was wondering what your impressions of the school are, as I like the fact its part of a Big Ten School and will only be getting better. I also hear its a really nice area, when its not winter. Being form ft. lauderdale thats going to be an adjustment.

Fawn06

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 10:32:38 PM »
My first impressions were very good.  I met with the dean of the law school & was very pleased with his vision of the school.  I toured the classrooms, courtroom, campus & library...nothing put me off.  I was impressed.  The classrooms are well equipped, the handful of profs I met with were very approachable, the campus is beautiful, the library is well organized & quiet (& had a good number of students studying), the courtroom is very high tech & modern.

I went up for another visit 2 weeks ago & this time really spent some time just observing.  My first impressions stick...I also like that it is part of the big ten schools.

Coming from Florida, Michigan winters will take some getting used to...but I actually like the snow & I am originally from AZ.

Best of luck with the rest of your applications. 

mmccon66

• AOL Instant Messenger - mmccon66
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 12:28:26 AM »
I think you and I are in a similar situation.  I've been accepted to MSU and am waiting on Wayne, UT etc.  I really like the campus and the idea of going to school in East Lansing as opposed to Detroit or Toledo.  The only reason I am hesitant is their reputation(maybe the price tag too).  But, like you said, everyone seems to think that their reputation is on the way up. 

My visit sounds similar to yours...I really could not find anything I disliked about the school.  I'm guessing that you too are waiting on scholarship info.  I talked to an admission's counselor and he kind of hinted that info would be sent before 2/15.  For me, it would be difficult to justify paying private school tuition at MSU if I get into Wayne. 

Fawn06

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 07:20:20 PM »
Thanks for your post.  Did you also visit Wayne & Toledo?  If so, please share your thoughts.  I am waiting to hear about $$$ too.  Although, I've read several posts throughout this board that one shouldn't pick their lawschool based on money or rankings alone<--appears to be a bit of a controversy

matts720

• Sr. Citizen
  • Let's Go Nova!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - matts072083
    • View Profile
    • MySpace profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006, 02:23:39 AM »
Hey everyone, I just got my acceptance from MSU yesterday. I'm excited because I would definitely go there if the decisions at the last few schools I'm applying to don't pan out. I'm from New Jersey, so the weather wouldn't be as much of a shock to me as it would for others. I also got an invite to an admitted students day on March 25th, which I'm definitely going to try and make.
Villanova 1L Class of 2009. Invading the Main Line in August.