Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Penn 2006 admitted students discussion  (Read 8896 times)

legapp

• View Profile
Penn 2006 admitted students discussion
« on: December 26, 2005, 11:26:03 AM »
I'm starting this thread to discuss admitted students information, including visiting days and financial aid.  Penn is currently my first choice (of the places where I've been admitted), so I welcome any news/opinions.  8)

vickymaz

Re: Penn 2006 admitted students discussion
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 06:10:08 PM »
Well, I'm going to Penn, via deferral from last year's cycle :) Say, is the 'admitted students' site up yet this year? I didn't think it was, but I'm getting my packet thing in January so I might be behind the times a little.

legapp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 10:19:58 AM »
I can't find any admitted students area online... it must not be up yet.  I really want to know when admitted students days are, so I can plan the time off work.

I'm currently deferred at NYU and Columbia, so right now Penn is far and away my first choice. If I get even a little bit of money from Penn, I may just withdraw from those other schools and count my blessings. :)

challandler

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 02:36:31 AM »
I'm in, but it is behind Michigan at this point.  I will only attend the Preview Day on February 17th, becuase the Admitted Students' Weekend conflicts with Michigan's.  It is still in the running, however.  Maybe it will impress me.

goodgal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 10:45:33 AM »
One great thing about Penn - I was poking around craigslist last night, just to see what sort of stuff was out there in terms of housing and I was BLOWN AWAY by the prices!! Maybe I am just used to Boston's real estate prices, but the places I found on craigslist were unbelievably cheap. i mean there was some stuff available for less than $300 a month, and it didn't look ready to be condemned or anything. for $500 you can really live it up.  (with a roommate, of course).  if you want to live alone, you can get a decent place for the price i'm paying to live with 3 people in Boston. I'm psyched.

legapp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 11:58:20 AM »
I'm in, but it is behind Michigan at this point.  I will only attend the Preview Day on February 17th, becuase the Admitted Students' Weekend conflicts with Michigan's.  It is still in the running, however.  Maybe it will impress me.

When is the admitted students' weekend?  How did you find out?  I don't think it was in my acceptance packet (the one with Philly mag and the viewbook).  Did you get something else?  Any info would be much appreciated, as I am trying to plan with a limited # of vacation days.  Thanks!

challandler

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 03:27:22 PM »

When is the admitted students' weekend?  How did you find out?  I don't think it was in my acceptance packet (the one with Philly mag and the viewbook).  Did you get something else?  Any info would be much appreciated, as I am trying to plan with a limited # of vacation days.  Thanks!

Dean Meeker told me when he called, and it was also in the acceptance letter (in the packet with the Philly mag).  Luckily for you, I keep everything neatly filed, so I can tell you that Admitted Students Weekend is March 23-25th, and Penn Previews are on February 17 and April 3.  Michigan's Preview Weekend is also the 23-25th, which happens to be during my Spring Break.  Since Michigan is much further away than Penn for me, it only makes sense to forgo the Penn weekend for the Preview Day.

legapp

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 04:41:40 PM »

Dean Meeker told me when he called, and it was also in the acceptance letter (in the packet with the Philly mag).  Luckily for you, I keep everything neatly filed, so I can tell you that Admitted Students Weekend is March 23-25th, and Penn Previews are on February 17 and April 3.  Michigan's Preview Weekend is also the 23-25th, which happens to be during my Spring Break.  Since Michigan is much further away than Penn for me, it only makes sense to forgo the Penn weekend for the Preview Day.

You're the best!  All my stuff is scattered between work and home.  Were there itineraries included?  What's difference between a preview day and the ASM?  I live close, and Penn is my current first choice, so I guess I'll go to both... so when I see you at the preview, you can chastise me in person for being so disorganized.  ;) 

challandler

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 07:15:26 PM »
so when I see you at the preview, you can chastise me in person for being so disorganized.  ;) 

It would be my pleasure.

No iteneraries yet. I'm sure more information will come in the mail, the dates were the only thing mentioned in the body of the letter. As to the difference between the Penn Preview and the ASW, I can only speculate.  The Preview is on a Friday, during the school year, so I expect to sit in on classes, eat in the dining hall, tour the campus, and get a feel for a (somewhat) typical day.  The ASW should cover the same things, but include such things as Financial Aid workshops, Q&A sessions with Career Services, and probably a coctail reception with professors and current students, etc.  Again, this is just my best guess, but it seems reasonable.   

garfunkle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 02:20:27 PM »
For those that got in, what are your LSAT/GPA scores like??  thanks.