Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Engineers in Law School  (Read 6803 times)

Senior Belding

• View Profile
Re: Engineers in Law School
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2006, 09:13:21 PM »
what school was this at

Burning Sands

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2006, 11:27:50 PM »
what Burning Sands says is golden.

What up Burnin - its Bubbazzz from the pre-law side, glad to hear you are doing well.

Bubbazz, what's going on man?

Burning Sands:

It seems to me that in tier 1 schools basically, Engineers have an easier time finding jobs outside the top 10%. Is this true?

Do you mean to say outside the top 10% of their class?  I would say this is most likely true because of the IP field, which doesn't really require you to be in the top 10% of your law school class...

...HOWEVER...what Lincolnsgrandson said is 100% true. They do ask for your undergrad transcript in IP firms.  I haven't been to an IP law firm interview yet where they didn't ask to see the undergrad grades, so make sure you kick ass in undergrad.  Just being an engineer is not enough.
Burning Sands

jimmyp

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.57/176
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2006, 12:45:19 PM »
I found that while the engineering material (CS was taught out of the engineering school at my UG) was harder, I had more of a desire to learn it than the material in law school.  I absolutely hated the first semester of law school.  I found out that I read slower than everyone else.  The crap is just so painfully boring to me that when I read or study I can NOT stop my mind from wandering.  This happens much less when I'm doing CS-y type stuff.  I might drop out.  I'm on a half-tuition scholarship to a top 10 school (got a monster LSAT) but I did terribly and my best friend got in off the wait list and she is doing better than me.  So don't believe that a good lsat means that you can necessarily put in the same amount of effort and just do well (that's what I was told).

Actually, another point about the engineering perspective.  I asked a ton of other people if the readings were boring for them too and the answer was uniform: definitely.  In response to my follow-up question of "why don't you drop out if you hate it?", the response was almost always "what else would I do?  I'm a history|english|polysci major."  My theory is that law school beckons the smart kids whose background and experience makes them practically unemployable (at least for a decent job).  After it attracts these kids whose backs are against the wall, it ranks them by a combination of desperateness and intelligence (where desperateness is measured by willingness to study) by pouring this crap work on top of them and seeing who can regurgitate it the best.  I wasn't willing to put myself through the painfully tedious stuff because I was making cash beforehand doing interesting work (the thought being that if I have to be in this much pain to get a job after LS, I would be better off dropping out).  (I went to law school to see if I would like it because I liked some UG law classes.)  This made me not work nearly as hard as everyone else and do much worse (haven't got my grades yet but I know I did bad).  Anyway, the moral here is that I didn't realize how motivated most other people would be because I didn't realize how little choice they had to do well in law school.

ApproachTheBench

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2006, 03:43:41 PM »
I think a lot of what JimmyP says is correct.

I also think being an engineer lends itself really well to being in law.  As one myself, I find that it's easier for me to look at the bigger picture and answer exam problems almost mathematically (if that makes any sense at all.)  I find that it makes it easy for me to be logical and concise.  Some of my history/poli sci major friends aren't as good at that, they seem to be more flowery and long-winded at times and less on point with some things.

That doesn't hold true for everyone, but I think coming from an engineering background has made me better at law school.
Save time, save money, find a summer job at http://www.approachthebench.com

lawgirl21

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2006, 02:54:27 PM »
And what if you didn't kick ass as an undergrad???  My GPA was a 3.0 in undergrad..  But I have lots of work experience..  Will that hurt my chances at getting into a good IP firm?? 
GPA: 3.6
LSAT: 154, then 159

ApproachTheBench

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2006, 07:50:01 PM »
And what if you didn't kick ass as an undergrad???  My GPA was a 3.0 in undergrad..  But I have lots of work experience..  Will that hurt my chances at getting into a good IP firm?? 

Not if you can still get into a really good law school or if you can get into a decent school and get very good grades. 

I've been through interviews with a bunch of IP firms and I do think that work experience counts a little bit once they've decided to interview you.  The more interesting, the better.  If you get lucky and you work on something they do a lot of they seem to like that too!

Burning Sands

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2006, 01:30:54 AM »

Not at all. If I had your 3.0 I would have landed several of these IP firms who look at first year grades.  3.0 in engineering is not bad at all and the IP firms definitely recognize that.
Burning Sands

Senior Belding

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2006, 01:56:36 AM »
I have a 3.65 in undergrad in chem engineering at a top 25 (for engineering) large public university.

Anyway i go to a top 50 private law school now (tulane). Am I still competitive with bottom 50% grades here? Your thoughts?

ApproachTheBench

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2006, 10:16:15 AM »
I have a 3.65 in undergrad in chem engineering at a top 25 (for engineering) large public university.

Anyway i go to a top 50 private law school now (tulane). Am I still competitive with bottom 50% grades here? Your thoughts?

Depends.  The only way to really find out is to apply for a bunch of jobs.

Senior Belding

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2006, 04:32:57 PM »
I havent gotto ngrades yet since we jsut started back up but I cant imagine i wont go WITHOUT a job with lower grades. My undergrad trascript is pretty solid..