Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: making online Law schools ABA is a bad thing  (Read 13687 times)

lawafter40

• View Profile
Re: making online Law schools ABA is a bad thing
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2007, 11:56:08 PM »

That was a particularly nasty and uncalled for comment, and I'm not sure what attack you were responding too.  Your haughtiness tends to undermine your argument.

If you'd care to quote the "particularly nasty and uncalled-for comment" you're referring to, rather than the entire post, I might be able to respond. I might also suggest you re-read the DL board more fully, and take special note of the haughty and condescending tone taken by the B&M crowd towards the DL crowd. What's sauce for the goose...

And, if you can't discern to which attack I was responding, I infer from that that there must be a decent number of attacks to which I could have responded.

;D

Advocated

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2007, 02:13:51 AM »

That was a particularly nasty and uncalled for comment, and I'm not sure what attack you were responding too.  Your haughtiness tends to undermine your argument.

If you'd care to quote the "particularly nasty and uncalled-for comment" you're referring to, rather than the entire post, I might be able to respond. I might also suggest you re-read the DL board more fully, and take special note of the haughty and condescending tone taken by the B&M crowd towards the DL crowd. What's sauce for the goose...

And, if you can't discern to which attack I was responding, I infer from that that there must be a decent number of attacks to which I could have responded.

;D

Sir, I am led to believe that you are a bitter old man attending a third-rate institution. The other "elements" you state required to have a successful legal career are completely unfounded. When it comes to skilled professions such as law the only "element" required is a high level of intelligence. Truly talented attorneys are not overly ambitious entrepreneurs with used car salesman personalities attempting to hustle their way to a cushy six-figure income. The United States is currently saturated with toilet JDs and incompetent attorneys. The profession has developed a stigma and is stifled by the thousands of undeserving JDs who graduate each year only to work for 30k at the next garbage PI firm. In all sincerity, the sharpest, most deserving members of the legal profession are the ones who have strong academic premise, an analytical mind, a passion for law, and a decent LSAT score. Ask yourself who you would choose to be your legal counsel? A lawyer who flopped in undergrad, attended a toilet LS, and passed the bar on their 5th time? Or an undergrad student who studied hard, aced the LSAT, and attended a rigorous and highly respected LS? The ABA continues to compromise the reputation and practices of quality attorneys as it approves one joke LS after another. I genuinely hope that soon-to-be attorneys from unqualified schools (considering they pass the bar) will realize that they will never ascend beyond the bottom-feeding scum of the legal profession. I commend all of the young attorneys who did mock trial in UG, prepped for the LSAT, attended a reputable LS, earned law review or journal, graduated in the top 25%, and passed the bar on the first run.

Yes old man, we shall see you in court.

tortfeasor111

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2007, 03:54:00 AM »

;D

Sorry, I should have been more specific.  Many of your comments have been extremely self-indulgent, agrumentative and confrontational.  You say you have had a successful career, kids, and so on, and for this I congratulate you, but honestly what are you doing arguing with B&M attendees half your age?  Have you nothing better to do than to argue semantics or who has made more money, been more successful, etc...  It's quite pathetic actually.  Could you be devoted this time to your fmaily or your kids or your 60-100 hour/week career.  The consensus I get on this board is that a lot of people find your views irratating, so you must be saying or doing something wrong.  Also, I attend a B&M, but I also support DL schools, so I'm on your side.  Now please take the minutes or hours you would use to scrutinize every sentence of this post and make an argument regarding each and every one [of these points] just to prove to yourself what a great attorney you will make, and spend it with your family. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2007, 07:11:00 AM »

You seem to be no better than the "kidlets" when you run round asserting that your intelligence and experience make you so much better than everyone else.

Where, precisely, did I assert that I was better than anyone, let alone everyone?

Your tone is condescending and you do little but talk about your fantastic achievements, leading one to a natural conclusion that you are attempting to assert your superiority.  That's all well and good; there's a lot of that going on here in general.  It's insulting, however, when you toot your own horn then, in your next sentence, ridicule and accuse others of doing so while concluding that we're all just out to make partner to the detriment of everything else in life.

lawafter40

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2007, 09:35:35 AM »
  Could you be devoted this time to your fmaily or your kids or your 60-100 hour/week career.  The consensus I get on this board is that a lot of people find your views irratating, so you must be saying or doing something wrong.  Also, I attend a B&M, but I also support DL schools, so I'm on your side.  Now please take the minutes or hours you would use to scrutinize every sentence of this post and make an argument regarding each and every one [of these points] just to prove to yourself what a great attorney you will make, and spend it with your family. 

Well, I'm no longer engaged in the 60-100 hr/week career, and haven't been for almost a decade. I generally wouldn't waste my time with this trifle, but I'm on the first business trip I've taken in 12 months, so I've got extra time in various hotel rooms to piddle away jousting with you folks.

So, it's fine for the B&M students to snipe in my direction all day long, but when I respond in kind it's me who's at fault. When B&M students carp on the superiority of their program, intelligence, parents, analytical abilities, personalities, etc, it's acceptable discourse, but when us lowly DL plebes dare to respond, we're stepping out of our class and upsetting our betters. Is that about it?

What I find absurdly amusing is the level of vitriol generated when someone like me proposes that the status quo may not be "all that." I'm not knocking a traditional JD. Never have, never will. But those on the traditional route are desperate to prove that a "bitter old man" can't keep up with the puppies on their own terms. To them, it's obvious that anyone not on their path has chosen poorly, with utter disregard for the consequences, and will make a terrible attorney.

That's the folly of youth, my friends. You find me irritating because I disagree with you, and do so strongly, not for any other reason. I'm challenging your sacred cows, and it peeves you. And you all want to be attorneys. Here's a hint from a "bitter old man:"

Grow a thicker skin, children. If someone as weak and pitiful as me can get under yours, you're in the wrong profession.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2007, 10:20:04 AM »
We're "sniping in your direction all day long?"  Before you revived this thread, it was over 7 months old.  There has been hardly any discussion about DL schools in a long time.

And since you started stirring sh*t up, I'd say that people are not responding to your arguments as much as your insults.  For someone who says plays the martyr, you're doing a lot of immature and ridiculous name calling (kidlets, cows, etc.).

If you want people to respect you, drop the condescension, insults, and petty "I'm holier than thou" crap, and start a real discussion.

tortfeasor111

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2007, 10:44:59 AM »
  Could you be devoted this time to your fmaily or your kids or your 60-100 hour/week career.  The consensus I get on this board is that a lot of people find your views irratating, so you must be saying or doing something wrong.  Also, I attend a B&M, but I also support DL schools, so I'm on your side.  Now please take the minutes or hours you would use to scrutinize every sentence of this post and make an argument regarding each and every one [of these points] just to prove to yourself what a great attorney you will make, and spend it with your family. 

Well, I'm no longer engaged in the 60-100 hr/week career, and haven't been for almost a decade. I generally wouldn't waste my time with this trifle, but I'm on the first business trip I've taken in 12 months, so I've got extra time in various hotel rooms to piddle away jousting with you folks.

So, it's fine for the B&M students to snipe in my direction all day long, but when I respond in kind it's me who's at fault. When B&M students carp on the superiority of their program, intelligence, parents, analytical abilities, personalities, etc, it's acceptable discourse, but when us lowly DL plebes dare to respond, we're stepping out of our class and upsetting our betters. Is that about it?

What I find absurdly amusing is the level of vitriol generated when someone like me proposes that the status quo may not be "all that." I'm not knocking a traditional JD. Never have, never will. But those on the traditional route are desperate to prove that a "bitter old man" can't keep up with the puppies on their own terms. To them, it's obvious that anyone not on their path has chosen poorly, with utter disregard for the consequences, and will make a terrible attorney.

That's the folly of youth, my friends. You find me irritating because I disagree with you, and do so strongly, not for any other reason. I'm challenging your sacred cows, and it peeves you. And you all want to be attorneys. Here's a hint from a "bitter old man:"

Grow a thicker skin, children. If someone as weak and pitiful as me can get under yours, you're in the wrong profession.

My whole point was that I agree with you, but that your attitude doesn't help your argument.  And thanks for proving my point with your lengthy response.  Again, I am awaiting a thorough analysis of this post.

lawafter40

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2007, 06:55:30 PM »
We're "sniping in your direction all day long?"  Before you revived this thread, it was over 7 months old.  There has been hardly any discussion about DL schools in a long time.

My bad. I neglected to read the dates. I was responding to the sh*tstorm from last year. Mea maxima culpa.

And since you started stirring sh*t up, I'd say that people are not responding to your arguments as much as your insults.  For someone who says plays the martyr, you're doing a lot of immature and ridiculous name calling (kidlets, cows, etc.).

I can't locate anyplace where I've played the martyr. And, as someone 'round here said recently (more or less), can't you people tell the difference between vitriolic name-calling directed at one person (bitter old man) and poking fun at a class of people (kidlets)? Sheesh.  ::)

If you want people to respect you, drop the condescension, insults, and petty "I'm holier than thou" crap, and start a real discussion.

With all due respect, I've read the old discussions:

Really... Aren't all of you cats just wasting you f'in' times?

The truth is internet law schools just want to take the money of the people who were not good enough to get into even the worst aba schools.

DL students do not belong in school and should be branded on the forehead with fake law degree,

Yes California allows you to take the bar, but they think ur dumb (rightly so)

Take up law as a hobby, go serve on juries, watch your Law & Order re-runs.  But you have nothing valuable to add to the legal profession.

Are you willing to look me in the eye, and with a straight face assert that these are neither condescending, immature, ridiculous nor name-calling?  ;D

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2007, 08:45:36 PM »
I'm not saying that every statement on these threads are mature.  I am saying, however, that no one was attacking you until you started stirring up a fight.  And I'm also saying that for someone as "mature" as you proclaim to be, your own responses leave a lot to be desired.

lawafter40

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2007, 10:14:23 PM »
I'm not saying that every statement on these threads are mature.  I am saying, however, that no one was attacking you until you started stirring up a fight.  And I'm also saying that for someone as "mature" as you proclaim to be, your own responses leave a lot to be desired.

I never claimed to be "mature," only "seasoned." I'm probably as immature as my 9-year old, in some ways.

But - I have been around the proverbial block more than once, and occasionally I learn something while taking laps.

I probably should have gone to Cal (yes, I was admitted to Boalt, way back when), but I was too immature at the time, too undisciplined, and too interested in girls and the film business. C'est la vie. You could call that decision a mistake, or you could look at it as experience. I've seen and done a lot since then, and learned a ton about people, finance, business and more. So now I find that my other responsibilities foreclose going to a B&M School. Hell, I've gotten this far on my smile and good looks. I'll take the shot, get my "fake" DL degree, and take my chances.

Ta ta from the "bitter old man."