Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: making online Law schools ABA is a bad thing  (Read 13715 times)

LegalLatin78

• View Profile
Re: making online Law schools ABA is a bad thing
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2007, 01:32:01 AM »
I would disagree with that statement duckasourus.  Online degrees are great for people who have already established a successful career, especially if they want to go into consulting.  While working with and for the SEC, I found many arbitrators and judges who had online degrees. 

Kids around here think they know everything.  I need a drink...

lawafter40

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 11:49:21 AM »
And, particularly, kids who think they're annointed or otherwise superior to the rest of the plebians, by virtue of attending a B&M law school.

Folks, lawyerin' is a good, decent profession, which is unfortunately overrun by fools and dunces. One of the (many) reasons I decided to go get my license was because, after being in business for many years, running successful businesses as well as failed businesses, and being involved in the litigation which is attendant to business...

...I realized that I had learned a great deal of the black letter law already, and by virtue of my advanced years (45 of them, count 'em), can mop up a negotiating room floor with the bones of the 30-year old Harvard JD's who have no seasoning, only attitude.

Before you discount this (you surely will try to) as the rantings of a feeble old man's mid-life crisis, remember that it was my retained attorney who spotted my potential and spent four years encouraging and nagging me to go license up. In his words,

"unless you care about being an associate at a big firm somewhere, after your first job nobody gives a cr*p about where you got your degree." Then he invited me to join him as a full partner once I license.

This is not to brag. I honestly don't "give a cr*p" about the opinions of the puppies here, or whether you believe me or want to "call BS" on me.

My point is that there are a lot of elements that go into being a successful lawyer. School is only one of them. People skills, negotiating skills, psychology, intuition, ethics, values end experience outweigh the JD every day. Those of you graduating and entering the big-firm arena - more power to ya. I'm past that stage of my life. I paid my entertainment industry dues with 100-hour weeks. Now I've got a family, and that's more important to me than anything else. I'm studying law via DL because I live 100+ miles from the nearest B&M institution, because I love the law, and because I have a gig waiting for me on the other side.

When I meet you puppies across a table or in court, you'll think you're gonna tear me limb from limb. That's fine. You're young and invincible. You're entitled to your delusions.

See you in court.

;D

pistolpete23

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 01:00:44 PM »

Umm, didn't BAR/BRI have a high school kid pass the BAR under its tutelage?  Do you guys really think that socratic oriented lectures are adequately preparing you to pass the BAR?  Couldn't you just have easily acquired those same skills and understanding by reading E&E or an Emanuels?   

I think you guys are missing the point.  In fact, I think we are the ones getting ripped off by paying $140,000+.  I can assure that you many self-motivated, online goers will pass the BAR.  If I'm not mistaken, Concord had like 20-30% of its student pass the bar in California.  And these programs are still in preliminary stages. 

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 02:47:34 PM »
Most graduates after Law School as it stands now are un-employed. 

What's your source?

lawafter40

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2007, 08:38:08 PM »
Most graduates after Law School as it stands now are un-employed....

I am not trying to be synical but more realistic.

Unfortunately, it also appears that a good number of those matriculating at traditional B&M schools are functionally illiterate.

See you in court.

;D

rev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2007, 08:40:56 PM »
...I realized that I had learned a great deal of the black letter law already, and by virtue of my advanced years (45 of them, count 'em), can mop up a negotiating room floor with the bones of the 30-year old Harvard JD's who have no seasoning, only attitude.

When I meet you puppies across a table or in court, you'll think you're gonna tear me limb from limb. That's fine. You're young and invincible. You're entitled to your delusions.

See you in court.

;D

meh, i'm older than you sonny  :D

but then, i'm not arguing against the validity of DL schools because i've been around long enough to know better.

lawafter40

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2007, 08:55:00 PM »
Holy Shi'ite, a reasoned response!

And, surprise of surprises, it's from an old warhorse like me.

I'm having so much fun avoiding my studies while I watch the kidlets strut their feathers and toot their horns and generally try to rattle the cages of the codgers...

And I'll have even more fun watching their divorce rate after a couple of years of desperately trying to make partner.

Life is soooo much larger and more entertaining then they realize at their tender young age.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2007, 09:11:03 PM »

And I'll have even more fun watching their divorce rate after a couple of years of desperately trying to make partner.

You seem to be no better than the "kidlets" when you run round asserting that your intelligence and experience make you so much better than everyone else.  Oh, and nice display of your own bit of stereotyping with the above quote.  Not all of us "kidlets" dream of being partner to the detriment of our relationship.  And while I'd love to go to a DL school and not go heavily into debt for my degree, I'd rather not wait 20+ years building up a nonlegal career just to make enough contacts to ensure I'd have a job when I finished.  Good for you that you can, but that option isn't available to most.

tortfeasor111

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2007, 09:49:17 PM »
And, particularly, kids who think they're annointed or otherwise superior to the rest of the plebians, by virtue of attending a B&M law school.

Folks, lawyerin' is a good, decent profession, which is unfortunately overrun by fools and dunces. One of the (many) reasons I decided to go get my license was because, after being in business for many years, running successful businesses as well as failed businesses, and being involved in the litigation which is attendant to business...

Before you discount this (you surely will try to) as the rantings of a feeble old man's mid-life crisis, remember that it was my retained attorney who spotted my potential and spent four years encouraging and nagging me to go license up. In his words,

"unless you care about being an associate at a big firm somewhere, after your first job nobody gives a cr*p about where you got your degree." Then he invited me to join him as a full partner once I license.

This is not to brag. I honestly don't "give a cr*p" about the opinions of the puppies here, or whether you believe me or want to "call BS" on me.

My point is that there are a lot of elements that go into being a successful lawyer. School is only one of them. People skills, negotiating skills, psychology, intuition, ethics, values end experience outweigh the JD every day. Those of you graduating and entering the big-firm arena - more power to ya. I'm past that stage of my life. I paid my entertainment industry dues with 100-hour weeks. Now I've got a family, and that's more important to me than anything else. I'm studying law via DL because I live 100+ miles from the nearest B&M institution, because I love the law, and because I have a gig waiting for me on the other side.

See you in court.

;D

That was a particularly nasty and uncalled for comment, and I'm not sure what attack you were responding too.  Your haughtiness tends to undermine your argument.

lawafter40

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2007, 11:49:20 PM »

You seem to be no better than the "kidlets" when you run round asserting that your intelligence and experience make you so much better than everyone else.

Where, precisely, did I assert that I was better than anyone, let alone everyone?