Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Your Typical Law Student Out There  (Read 15423 times)

orky13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
Re: Your Typical Law Student Out There
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2006, 08:22:35 PM »
Do people seriously chat online during class? I'm soon to be a 1L and find that concept flabberghasting!
It comes to this: Cleveland Marshall, Lewis & Clark
Waitlisted: Case

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2006, 11:08:59 PM »
orky - it happens a lot more in 2nd and 3rd year classes. Just put urself in this position:

You are going on hour 2 in Tax Law. You feel like your going to fall asleep. You have wireless internet access. Sounds enticing.
check the footnotes ya'll

Leaf2001br

• Sr. Citizen
  • My two cents.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Leaf2001br
    • View Profile
    • Isaac Online
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2006, 11:28:35 PM »
The guy who always has to raise his hand to inform the professor whether in HIS OPINION the Supreme Court majority's holding was fair.

The guy who loves to crack up the class in criminal by offering first-hand experience as a defendant.  (I actually like this guy, at least it's not a hypo)

The girl that always has to ask, "Oh pleeeeeease can the exam be open book? Hee Hee!"
"What is Legal?  What is Illegal?  What is 'Barely Legal'?"  - Ali G

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2006, 10:36:06 AM »
Do people seriously chat online during class? I'm soon to be a 1L and find that concept flabberghasting!

I doubt my school is representative of the general population, but I'd say a good half of the people in my class are either talking on IM or playing some type of game (solitare, text twist, etc). I sit in the back of the room for all my classes, and see many others surfing the web, and at most 10 people who resist the temptation at all. I'm of the 80/20 type...pay attention 80% of the time and check my mail or espn 20% of the time (when someone is reciting facts, overblown discussion of a case, etc). With wireless internet, its real hard not to play around on the internet at all, however don't make it an overwhelming habit.

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2006, 03:24:04 PM »
1) the prototypical run of the mill 143 pound white boy with brown hair, glasses, and polo shirt who has yet to lift any one object that happens to weigh more than 20 pounds [yep, he uses a roller bag for his textbooks]

2) the uppity prada-toting sorority girl who refuses to come to class in anything that fetches less than an aggregate 500 dollars at the nearest retailer

3) the gunner social hermaphodites who often and frequently find themselves in awkward situations both in the elevators and the hallways and have no choice but to fill the resulting social void by with high minded discussion of the merits of penoyer v. neff - even though the case was covered last semester

4) angry black

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
  • Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2006, 03:52:52 PM »
Out here, at UW and probably at CU and DU, it looks like this:

1) The bible-thumping turbo nerd with think glasses and who probably became a bible-thumper cuz he is 23 and still hasn't had a serious sexual relationship or lay. A female of this categeory will be the validvictorian (spelling?)
2) The hippie/stoner that make me look like a skin-head and goes climbing.
3) The hillbilly that only talks about how much democrats and the government sucks. They are libertines and a good deal of them are closet pro-choicers.
4) The typical sorority sister.

Yeah, mostly hillbillies,hippies and biblethumpers constitute the wierd kids and student stereotypes out here.

QUAKER OATS

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2006, 03:57:28 PM »
Similar to Happy's no. 2--the guy/girl to the left of Lenin who argues oppression for every circumstance.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2006, 07:48:11 PM »
5 bucks says that Chris Laurel is a "gunner" and everyone at his lawschool ridicules him.

Where is the gunner?  How about the daddy's boy/girl, who is only in law school because they don't know what to do with their life and their father is a big alum.

Even though "gunner" is often used to describe the blowhard who always talks just to "enlighten" the rest of the class as to their viewpoint, it also has come to mean "Person who is speaks up often" even when they are efforting only to express their view to have it challenged and corrected/refined, or because they feel the knowledge they have aids the discussion.

In the end, if students find it more annoying to have students speak up consistently instead of listening to the professor, I think that is evidence of their lack of imagination.  Imagination and creativity is important for lawyers.  So is voicing your viewpoint in front ofyour peers.

Stop attacking Gunners and start attacking the ideas they constantly share.  If you can debate the merits of their words, instead of arguing agains the necessity of their expression, you'll shut up Gunners quicker than ridicule and whispers-behind-their-backs.

In other words, stop gossiping about Gunners and riducling them and instead attack their ideas as irrelevant to the discussion or misguided.

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2006, 09:26:23 PM »
Man...this is more fun than I thought

How bout "After Class Questions Guy": the guy who packs up his stuff in 30 seconds, then sprints to the front to barrage the prof with a bunch of questions.

Then there's "Hurry the F**k Up Guy" (one of my friends): the obnoxious a-hole who begins packing up his stuff with one minute left in class, so as to say "Hey professor, dont even think about holding us over"...usually starts a wave of others who do the same thing.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2006, 09:35:12 PM »
I have the guy in my section that speaks at least twice in every class.  First, he always asks the professor to repeat what they just said.  (EVERY CLASS, every day)

Then, he raises his hand to make a comment that either was just made by another student or the professor, but tries to state it as though it's his own, new idea.

Drives me nuts.