Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Your Typical Law Student Out There  (Read 15353 times)

majorporcupine

• View Profile
Re: Your Typical Law Student Out There
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 05:06:34 PM »
Wait, wait, I want to do stereotyping too!

Your typical law student...um, um...wants to...um...be a...um...lawyer...or work in a law-related field.

Do I get High Honors?  :o

QUAKER OATS

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 05:08:27 PM »
the guy/girl who always prefaces socratic response with..."I didn't really understand but..." or "I think the majority said..."

Have some freakin confidence.

majorporcupine

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2006, 05:10:21 PM »
the guy/girl who always prefaces socratic response with..."I didn't really understand but..." or "I think the majority said..."

Have some freakin confidence.

Yes, then they will graduate with poor grades and defend capital murder cases, but then die  because their clients are tired of hearing "I didn't really understand but...oh, you're dead?"

riaroso

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006, 04:58:38 PM »
So I'd have to turn into a lesbian or a female dog? No other options??? LOL ;D

Chris Laurel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2006, 03:54:03 AM »
Where is the gunner?  How about the daddy's boy/girl, who is only in law school because they don't know what to do with their life and their father is a big alum.

Even though "gunner" is often used to describe the blowhard who always talks just to "enlighten" the rest of the class as to their viewpoint, it also has come to mean "Person who is speaks up often" even when they are efforting only to express their view to have it challenged and corrected/refined, or because they feel the knowledge they have aids the discussion.

In the end, if students find it more annoying to have students speak up consistently instead of listening to the professor, I think that is evidence of their lack of imagination.  Imagination and creativity is important for lawyers.  So is voicing your viewpoint in front ofyour peers.

Stop attacking Gunners and start attacking the ideas they constantly share.  If you can debate the merits of their words, instead of arguing agains the necessity of their expression, you'll shut up Gunners quicker than ridicule and whispers-behind-their-backs.

In other words, stop gossiping about Gunners and riducling them and instead attack their ideas as irrelevant to the discussion or misguided.

orky13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2006, 02:00:54 PM »
haha straight out of Legally Blonde :)
1. the absolute geek with numerous doctorates who has been de-worming orphans in eastern Europe for the past few months.
2. the scary lesbian with a phD in women's studies and a focus on the history of combat.
3. the arrogant but inept genius who enjoys telling people his IQ and assumes that famous philosophers take their ideas from his fourth grade papers.
4. the competitive and ruthless female dog.
It comes to this: Cleveland Marshall, Lewis & Clark
Waitlisted: Case

catamount6178

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2006, 02:09:40 PM »
How about the person who ritualistically and obsessively checks the LSD posting board? ::)
Are your maladjusted, antisocial tendencies a product of your berserk pituitary gland?

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2006, 04:04:28 PM »
The "sorostitute" who constantly checks facebook during class to see if anyone has posted on her wall...loves to hear herself talk and wears a multitude of "Delta Zeta" T-shirts

The "big man on campus" who every friday says "F*ck yea I'm drinkin tonight, are you drinking tonight?"...has to make it known how cool he is that he's able to get plastered every weekend and still make it through law school.

The URM student (no offense to any minority students) who blames the lack of "academic support" at our school for her poor grades...yet doesn't connect her unsatisfactory grades with chatting on IM during every class throughout the entire class period.

The same student who drives you nuts b/c she can chat on IM during every class yet still has excellent grades.

The girl who hasn't figured out that when you get called on in class or ask a question, that you need to talk at a volume higher than a whisper.

I could probably come up with at least 5 or 6 more...I've got quite a few characters at my school.

sehrwunderbar

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2006, 06:50:56 PM »
The "sorostitute" who constantly checks facebook during class to see if anyone has posted on her wall...loves to hear herself talk and wears a multitude of "Delta Zeta" T-shirts

The "big man on campus" who every friday says "F*ck yea I'm drinkin tonight, are you drinking tonight?"...has to make it known how cool he is that he's able to get plastered every weekend and still make it through law school.

The URM student (no offense to any minority students) who blames the lack of "academic support" at our school for her poor grades...yet doesn't connect her unsatisfactory grades with chatting on IM during every class throughout the entire class period.

The same student who drives you nuts b/c she can chat on IM during every class yet still has excellent grades.

The girl who hasn't figured out that when you get called on in class or ask a question, that you need to talk at a volume higher than a whisper.

I could probably come up with at least 5 or 6 more...I've got quite a few characters at my school.

Good job, I definately can say that it seems these people exist everywhere. What about the girl that never has a clue what's going on but always seem to have an unrelated comment?

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2006, 08:17:38 PM »
Yea we have a guy in our class like that. He will be playing "text twist" then every once in a while will pop his head up when he hears something interesting and ask a question that sometimes is relevant, other times just shows he wasn't paying any attention at all.

Do you have life-story girl? A person who every time she gets called on to read the facts of the case takes literally 5 minutes because she hasn't figured out what a fact summary is and the professor is too nice to cut her off..

How bout the "SBA nazi?" An overly enthusiastic person who passes out candy, gives out highlighters, and buys donuts for first year students just to obtain votes so he/she can have something to add to a resume...not to mention all the tacky campaign T-shirts & slogans...it's like 7th grade all over again