Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Burn Out  (Read 3739 times)

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Burn Out
« on: December 15, 2005, 12:56:24 AM »
So my last exam is Friday & my brain has gone to mush.  I am drinking 4 red bulls a day & about 3 cups of coffee.  I had a 24 hour final 2 days ago, which I spent 24 hours on.  I have Civpro last- it was my best subject- I did practice exams 2 weeks ago & felt incredibly confident.  Now I feel like my brain has somehow lost all that information, and I cannot seem to get it back.  I am really stressed out for this exam, which was my best subject- and yes it is a dreaded closed book.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Burn Out
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 01:42:31 AM »
Yeah. You are probably going to fail.

plumbert

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 04:15:43 AM »
I know the feeling. I started studying for my Contracts final, which I take this coming Saturday, about a week and a half ago. Of course, I had to set Contracts aside to study for Torts and Civ Pro (the latter of which was a grueling 3-hour crucible) in the interim. When I sat down this morning to pick Contracts back up, none of my previous studying really came back to me. It was like I had to start from scratch (although fortunately I did make a bunch of flashcards which are easy enough to use even when mush-minded). Since I was up all night studying for the Civ Pro test last night, I'm just giving myself the rest of the night off and will redouble my efforts tomorrow and Friday. Sometimes the brain needs a rest, and at those times I find you don't learn much even when you spend time trying to do so.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 09:20:32 AM »
Take 6 hours today, and do nothing.  Take a nap.  Watch a movie.  Knit a sweater.  Preferably do it tonight, and study for the morning/early afternoon.

Don't do ANYTHING.  Remember how people keep telling you to take the night off before an exam?  And how for the LSAT, you were probably advised to take the weekend before off?

Same advice applies here.  You're likely overtired (by spending 24 hours on a take home exam...which, I'd like to point out, professors almost never actually *intend* for you to not sleep for 24 hours...), and it won't matter how well you know your civpro material.  If you're as burnt out as you're saying you are, you could study for the next 24 hours, and then be worthless on your final.

So take a break today.  Go to bed early.  You'll do yourself a huge favor.  And relax while doing it.  YOu feel civpro is your strongest subject.  And believe it your not, you'll probably have an edge over everyone else who didn't sleep or relax and studied for every minute for the next day.

Coregram

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 10:26:03 AM »
I agree with Jacy.  Go to be early and get a good night sleep tonight (and no red bulls today!)  Wake up tomorrow refreshed and ready.  Then read through your outline twice.  I bet you find most of it comes back quickly.  Then do any last minute cramming on the parts that didn't come back.

sdnomal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 02:27:34 PM »
wow this is scary.

i feel like im going to fail out and i havent even started yet...

are exams reallly this difficult?!

980eQ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 05:09:10 PM »
dont fret buddy,

I had a 24 hour civ pro in dec, a REAL ballbuster.. just take the advice here, a few hours off is just what you need... nap, eat a pizza, play a video game, whatever... just calm down.. then pick up the book and have at it.

I had that exam on my 23 birthday, which really sucked.. but later that night i treated myself to a new york strip steak and a few beers.... I got an 87 on my torts exam and an 85 in my contracts... civ went well as well... just chill

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 08:30:44 PM »
They are only as difficlut as you want them to be. If you screw off all semester and find that you suddenly have to learn an entire semester worth of material in a two week period, you are going to burn out like our friend the OP. But if you have been learning actively all semester, and have been 'studying' all along, this time before finals is much more mellow as you are really just reviewing it and cramming it all into the front part of your brain. But if you are doing it right all along, its there, and you just need to have it at ready recall. If you been preparing all semester, then this time is best used to do practice exams and questions, to really 'stretch' your mind for the exam. Not to suddenly learn how to run the hurdles.
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 09:04:52 PM »
if you do it "right" you work hard at it all semester and then work even harder at it come finals period. the feeling of "burn out" is inevitable - it's a marathon, not a race, and you have to be able to recognize when you have reached your limit in terms of productivity. For example, I started studying civ pro this morning at 11am or so. I finished an hour ago (8pm) - this is shorter than my usual stint but it would be silly for me to attempt to sit around and attemp to study any longer - brain is tired, eyes are burning, etc. I'm tired. Tomorrow is the last final - if you don't stagger across the finish line come the last final (irrespective of how much work you put in over the course of the semester) you aren't working hard enough.

or so my gunnerish-1L mentality would have me believe. who knows, maybe tyler durden the 2L will be happy to coast through finals doing a couple practice problems for warm up. who knows.

i doubt it.

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 11:37:26 AM »
If you are referring to me just doing a few practice problems to warm up for finals, you are sorely mistaken. I am still working my ass off during finals, there is no question. But I am not staying up for 24 hours, drinking 6 red bulls a day just to get through. I pace myself but am still putting in long days and nights. Make no mistake about it, I do feel like I am sprinting this last quarter mile of the marathon. But I am not 'learning' the material now, the way many of my classmates are doing.
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality