Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any other schools not give out fall grades?  (Read 1060 times)

sker

• View Profile
Any other schools not give out fall grades?
« on: December 12, 2005, 08:03:29 PM »
My law school does not give out any fall grades. All of our classes are a year long. Right now we are taking mid-term tests rather than finals and we take finals in the spring. The grades we get on our mid-terms are only wroth about 30% of our fianl grade. We do not have any grades to show potential employers. (I am sure we can tell them how we did on our mid-terms, but we do not have anything on our transcripts, so they would have to take our word for it). How is this going to effect my job search? I don't think that most schools do it this way.

Krisace

• View Profile
Re: Any other schools not give out fall grades?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 10:37:54 PM »
Pacific-McGeorge does it that way but it won't have much of an affect on the job hunt anyways.  As a 1L it will be difficult to get a paid position anyways, and such private firms generally only hire 2L's anyways.  That leaves either a private firm where you have contacts (in which case grades aren't important for a 1L summer position) or a public agency (where they are generally happy to have the help). 

Basically your best bet is to try to use any connections you have either in the private sector or the public sector as well as E-Attorney.  You'll find something.  Grades aren't that important because it's not like a 2L big-firm position where they are looking to give offers for full employment.  Good luck!

Harpua76

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 10:03:51 PM »
Hi,

Fordham doesn't give out fall grades either, just fall grades for midterms worth about 20 percent in a few classes. I know a few summer job postings in our career center asked people to hand in their graded legal writing papers done during the fall and their resumes then said that basically 1L's don't really have many options outside of public interest law. May or may not be true, I wouldn't know but if you did well in legal writing you might want to hand in a sample of a long memo with your resume. Its really frustrating to have year long classes, May is going to be intense so understand how you feel!

Megan : )

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 11:17:37 PM »
On another board, someone said that Texas Southern does this. But you're right most schools don't do it this way. Have you talked to your Career Services people?

My law school does not give out any fall grades. All of our classes are a year long. Right now we are taking mid-term tests rather than finals and we take finals in the spring. The grades we get on our mid-terms are only wroth about 30% of our fianl grade. We do not have any grades to show potential employers. (I am sure we can tell them how we did on our mid-terms, but we do not have anything on our transcripts, so they would have to take our word for it). How is this going to effect my job search? I don't think that most schools do it this way.

cam108

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 02:06:21 AM »
At our school we had two year long courses which we wont get a grade for until spring. That leaves us with only 3 classes we'll actually have a final grade for come second semester. Most of the jobs i've seen so far don't seem to be to concerned with grades, they mainly require resume, cover letter and a writing sample. But I suppose it varies from job to job since I have seen a few who want reccomendations and transcripts as well.

Good Luck! :)
HUSL 1L

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 09:35:48 AM »
I don't why you said about that about Fordham - the day 1L program takes two final exams in December - one for criminal and one for either property or torts.  There's also a contracts midterm, but that grade is not official (or even "unofficial).  I know some people who printed out their contracts midterm raw score, along with a printout of a chart with the raw score equivalent.  I couldn't tell if you that was useful.  Some show their legal writing short memo grade