Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Family Law is Depressing  (Read 2055 times)

Goldy

• View Profile
Family Law is Depressing
« on: December 11, 2005, 05:39:17 PM »
I kind of knew that it would be but studying for the final really drives that point home. So many screwed up families.  But I really like the professor though.

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
Re: Family Law is Depressing
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 10:24:34 PM »
hey, me too!!

I want to practice family law, though.  :)  I know it will be hard, emotionally draining work, but I think in the long run it will be worth it.

I am studying for the final tomorrow.  Its closed book, and our professor expects us to know both national law and Texas law.  :-\
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 11:07:58 AM »
If you think it's depressing when you study it, just wait until you actually see it in practice.  It's the absolute worst.

rezipsa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 02:50:47 PM »
I don't think it is depressing.  I have been interning for over 6 months in family law and it is far from depressing.  I had some very "interesting" cases and just being able to help someone is rewarding.

One thing about family law is that you will get a bit of everything from Civpro, contracts (prenups), trial advocacy (hearings), evidence and not to mention family law or community property.  Family law is a good way to get trial experience.

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 11:11:26 PM »
Yay!!  Good to hear that, especially since I'm due to start working in a family law office soon.

I don't think it is depressing.  I have been interning for over 6 months in family law and it is far from depressing.  I had some very "interesting" cases and just being able to help someone is rewarding.

One thing about family law is that you will get a bit of everything from Civpro, contracts (prenups), trial advocacy (hearings), evidence and not to mention family law or community property.  Family law is a good way to get trial experience.
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!

Goldy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 03:37:36 PM »
I think there are some interesting cases. It is just that some of them are very sad as well.

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 09:27:55 PM »
I was a family law paralegal prior to attending law school.  Some people love it, but it was not for me.  You see good people at their worst all day.  It was really interesting sometimes because we had celebrity clients, but most of it was boring, and a lot of number crunching and people fighting over petty things. 

I worked in juvenile dependecy court for the summer, and liked that a lot more even though it is more depressing. 

navycorpsman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 01:10:28 PM »
WOW! I seem to hear the same thing about Family Law, yet my desire to practice Family Law is strong. I start an internship at a Family Law Firm this Monday and I am really looking forward to the surrogacy specialization and adoption issues. I think it will be extremely interesting. I must admit that I've never had a Family Law class and this semester would be the only one I could take since I graduate in December 06'. Unfortunately I have Con Law II (offered during the same time) that is a must if I want to graduate on time  :'(

To the person that is doing the Family Law internship, how is your internship going overall? Is your Attorney giving you any autonomy, or do you feel like an unpaid gopher? LOL

jdizon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 03:36:51 AM »
weall know that law is a very depressing matter, though, you can still come through it.

tampa divorce lawyers

resipsaloquitur

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 04:13:50 AM »

I hear the hallways outside of family courtrooms are the most dangerous in a courthouse.