Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: F Grades....Please help freaking out!  (Read 6725 times)

lawschoolgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
F Grades....Please help freaking out!
« on: December 11, 2005, 03:17:28 AM »
so here goes my weird question...I am freaking out about my criminal law final...I am afraid that I will get an F. I was told by many 3L that usually only about 1 or 2 people fail out and thats because they didnt do anything.

My question is how often are F grades given out in law school...is it common like in undergrad? Or are F's usually not given out. I guess what Im trying to say is under what circumstances are F's given out??? How poorly would you have to do on an exam??? My exam is 1-3 essays and 60 MC in 3 hours

(backround info...ive briefed all my cases, and did my own outline, my exam is on wendsday, and I have already started studying...Im afraid because my professor talks about anything and everything in class...she is all over the place...didnt mention the common law once during class...and told us that she wants us to distinguish CL and MPC on the exam in detail.)

BigPimpinBU

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: F Grades....Please help freaking out!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 03:45:59 AM »
I've never heard of an F grade being given, in 1.5 yrs of law school. I've never heard of a D being given to anyone who was not a complete f*ckup. Stop freaking out. Everyone freaks out. Then everyone gets B's. Some people get A's. So stop freaking out.

MichaelK

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 11:13:53 AM »
Of the professors I have had who have discussed the grading curve, all have said that they are hesitant about giving low grades.  Especially if your school allows some flexibility, professors will find ways to give no F's and as few D's as possible if they can.  One professor literally gave an example of one of her F papers.  The student literally wrote in the exam book "see you next semester."  Another professor was very candid about saying that he does not like giving below C range grades.  He says he compensates for this by giving fewer grades B+ and higher (my school's curve basically breaks down to 36% B+ or higher, 36% B- or lower, 28% B if the professors followed it literally)
Current 1L

trouble

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 11:20:53 AM »
You've already said that you talked to 3L's who said that only 1 or 2 people fail, and that's because "they didn't do anything."  You've briefed, you've done your outline, you've been studying.  So quit flipping out, get ahold of yourself.  Law school is mostly a mind f*ck, and you're taking yourself out of the game by losing it.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."  Ralph Waldo Emerson

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 12:34:35 PM »
To add to what everyone else is saying, stop freaking out.  The same curve which frustrates people to no end because their "amazing academic performance" is somehow arbitarily slotted into some B range also prevents everyone accept the biggest screw ups from failing out.  If you have been to class, done all the readings, briefed every case, done an outline, then you are fine.  You are probably in the top half of the class in terms of preparedness, at the very least you are right there with everyone else.

If you really want to study some more, my advice is to take some practice exams, get used to the multiple choice.  As for her common law vs. MPC detail, go look at her essays.  I bet one or two will be either asking how a common law case will come out under the MPC, or to explain how a case would come out under both.

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 01:37:38 PM »
Although I am a 1L, I don't think anyone fails out of my school, unless they really mess up (ie not showing up to the final).  I have a couple friends at some 4th tier schools though who have reported classmatees being failed out as a way to boost their bar passage rates, but I think those schools are very far and few between.  My school seems really willing to help people and make accomodations for those who need them. 

I am stressed out about the other end of the grading curve.  I heard from a number of people (including 2Ls) that my torts prof only gave 1 A out for a class of 80 students last year, and I guess a lot of people got upset & complained.  Our school has a strict grading curve, but does not require a minimum of high grades.

Don't worry, you will be fine.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 04:03:07 PM »
My torts prof gave 2 A's for a section of about 80 -- below what the curve allowed. It does happen.

I think it's more likely to get C's than F's. Then again, depending on your school, straight C's can mean probation.

Goldy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 05:45:17 PM »
At my school (not a fourth tier by far) a good number of people get d's and have to take a first year class again. Quite a few of them did study hard but just did not do well on the exam.  I think we have one of those schools that tries to raise the bar passage rate by flunking some out. After my first year, quite a few students left but I don't know if it was mostly grades or something else.

But for the most part, unless you are one of those people who study hard but test poorly you should be okay.

lawschoolgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2005, 05:48:40 PM »
thanks for all the words of encouragement it really did make me feel better! I guess its just stressful because this professor is so all over the place...she is one of those that dont really teach so your left teaching yourself..(if that makes sense) Anyway I think I will be alright...Im aiming for an A hoping for C haha. Good luck to everyone on their finals.

plumbert

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 07:17:53 AM »
I must admit I've been having nightmares of flunking out as well.