Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Balancing Law School and Work  (Read 1486 times)

Mediator

• View Profile
Balancing Law School and Work
« on: December 10, 2005, 01:14:47 PM »
Twenty-two years ago I attended an ABA approved law school. Withdrew,got married, started a family...now my sons are grown and I am returning to law school to finish what I started. For the last 15 years I have been working as Director of a court ADR program and staff arbitrator/mediator. Going to continue arbitration/mediation when I retire from government service (not that far out). When I was in law school I was single and only had to focus on law school. Now things are very busy, i.e. arb/mediation/other court work, committees, speaking, etc.

So here's my question, what advice from those of you who are either now enrolled or have attended law school, would you give in terms of balancing law school and work. In short, what worked for you? 

VirtualJD

• View Profile
Re: Balancing Law School and Work
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 12:39:42 AM »
What works for me is a lot of little things.  My B&M choices are quit work for a public U, full time day program or keep working and attend a private evening program. When I think about no salary or paying about $40K per year for tuition, these do not seem to be a real choice.  So, "correspondence" seemed to be the answer, especially given the way in which I expect to use a legal education. 

First, this part time correspondence program is as full time as it gets.  I'm putting in 30 to 40 hours per week.  So, at the top of my list is that I have a very understanding wife and no kids.  I only do the essential things around the house.  I moved into a work assignment that has only minimal travel and I'm staying in a area of responsibility where I have strong skills.  I did some work to increase my reading speed and would like to bump my speed to be faster still.  I work from a home office; no commute means more study or sleep time.

Make sure you know yourself: know that you're motivated, or driven, enough to stay with the program for four years.  And, know how you learn so that you focus your time on the most effective study approach.  If you decide to buy study aids, buy those study aids that compliment your learning style.

Good luck.

plumeria

• View Profile
Re: Balancing Law School and Work
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 12:55:16 AM »
I am basically asking the same question.
Although I do not have a family nor kids, I have a highly stresful full-time job.
Just got into a correspondence school which required a 4 year undergraduate degree and above 3.0 gpa.  It also requires one to take the "baby bar" after the first year.
Heard that the baby bar is tough... only 1 in 5 pass (according to another poster here).
The 11 law books for first year that I received today are heavy and look serious if not intimidating.