Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: prestige  (Read 4417 times)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: prestige
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 12:05:54 AM »
And you have nothing better to do than wonder whether your 1L year will make you any more of a loser than you already are.   ::)

At least lipper's snarky comments are entertaining.  You're just a feminine hygiene product.

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2005, 07:57:35 AM »
i post "snarky" remarks to dumba$$ questions.
check the footnotes ya'll

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2005, 09:02:36 AM »
1.  Only your JD will be on your attorney bio, not the school from where you transferred.  Your undergrad and any other grad degrees, will also be on your resume and bios and forever.
2. Nevertheless, it's not a bad thing to tell employers or anyone else that you transferred to a good school.  Transferred = finished near the top of your class the first year.
3. It's amazing how many people think this is the perfect plan.  What makes anyone assume it's so easy to transfer?  Best to assume that the school you enter will be the school you leave. 
4. Yes, you are a sad, pathetic individual.

doesnotallowgreekcharacte

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2005, 02:01:41 AM »
Prestige is life. Without prestige to fight for we would be reduced to the state of animals, our true condition.

mrjosh

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2005, 02:04:53 PM »
you people are pathetic, the same people who come running on this board and go "oh im so happy i got into such and such law school" complain when i admit i care about prestige.  when didnt you all just apply to the closest law school if you dont care anything about prestige.
and i dont think its the perfect plan, the perfect plan is getting in where i want the first time but im just considering a backup plan.

trouble

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2005, 02:19:41 PM »
Usually people who care so much about prestige are people I try to avoid.  I went to the closest school to me that offered me the most money to attend.  And now, I'd like to transfer to a school that is closer to my boyfriend, and I don't care what school that is, as long as it's closer to him.  Law school is what we make it.  I've met some real losers who went to some of the top law schools in the country.  It doesn't make them any better than anyone else... but THEY think it makes them better than everyone else.  They're idiots.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."  Ralph Waldo Emerson

mrjosh

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2005, 03:45:43 PM »
most of the posts on the pre-law board are people obsessed with law school rankings.  not caring about the prestige doesnt make you morally superior to anyone who does.
i understand what you're saying, my cousin went to harvard as an undergraduate and became insufferable as a result, but not everyone is like that.  i care about prestige mostly because of how it affects your career prospects. 
most of the people criticizing me probably spent months worring about whether they could get into a school that ranked high enough on the us news rankings.

bill666

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2005, 03:56:59 PM »
Big law firms concerned with grades will see your transcript during OCI.  Down the road some firms still request transcripts.  There was a Gibson lateral partner who was dinged with a $7 million dollar portable book of business because his transcript wasn't up to par.  So obviously they are still looking at them in some situations.  Whether or not they consider you to be less prestigious will naturally vary. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2005, 08:39:31 AM »
No one's saying presitge doesn't matter.  But if you'll notice, all of us have better things to do with our lives than "obsess" over it.  Nor do we wonder if we'd be "second class" graduates of a law school if we transferred.  Caring about prestige is fine.  But you crossed the line, which is why you're a pathetic loser.

mrjosh

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2005, 05:05:46 PM »
How did i cross the line?  by admiting i care about prestige?
How am I obsessing?  by posting a question I genuinely did not know the answer to on this board?
Judging by people's reactions i guess i hit a nerve, in my future career i'll just pretend i dont care about prestige like everyone else does.