Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ending early?  (Read 757 times)

racheles05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Ending early?
« on: December 04, 2005, 11:58:19 PM »
Has anybody finished a law school final exam early and done well? How about a first-year exam? I'm just wondering because several people left early in the last two exams, but I was working up until the last minute. I'm wondering if this is a sign that I'm not budgeting my time well, or if the people who left just missed something.

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Ending early?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 12:45:02 AM »
means nothing. some people convey everything needed to convey in far fewer words, while others need 200 pages. dont sweat it. im sure you are budgeting your time fine.
check the footnotes ya'll

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 05:50:48 PM »
it means they're idiots.

Leaf2001br

• Sr. Citizen
  • My two cents.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Leaf2001br
    • View Profile
    • Isaac Online
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 03:03:03 PM »
Though there are obviosly exceptions, I think generally the people who stay longer do better.  The people who leave early obviosly have nothing left to write.  In theory, you should be able to write for hours past the deadline if you treated a hypothetical completely.  You can't be penalized for including too much analysis. There is a reason there is a time limit.  You might as well use every minute they give you, even if that just means restructuring your argument into a more coherent flow.  I just don't undserstand why people would complain all semester about being graded on a single exam and then just cut out early without using all of their alloted time.  I suspect these people are just throwing in the towel at that point.
"What is Legal?  What is Illegal?  What is 'Barely Legal'?"  - Ali G

JD_MSA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 05:19:08 PM »
In theory, you should be able to write for hours past the dealine if you treated a hypothetical completely.  You can't be penalized for including too much analysis.

While I think I know what you're saying, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one.  "Legal vomiting" can screw up a good exam grade just as much as too little analysis, and if you could write for hours past the deadline, it's either taking you too damn long to figure things out ( :)) or you've failed to distinguish the critical issues from the peripheral ones.

There's no shame in finishing early as long as you've given your best effort.  Some people can just analyze and write more quickly.  I was usually one of the first people to finish, and it never hurt me.  I finished an exam thirty minutes early yesterday, and I still wrote everything I wanted to write. 

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 05:28:37 PM »
I finished an exam 30 minutes early and wrote everything I could write.  I think I screwed up though.   ;D

Leaf2001br

• Sr. Citizen
  • My two cents.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Leaf2001br
    • View Profile
    • Isaac Online
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 06:13:05 PM »
If you have nailed all the pertinent factors thoroughly, I don't see how you could lose points for taking the extra time to discuss the more minor issues, emphasizing one likely outcome and the minor issues as a rare but possible.
"What is Legal?  What is Illegal?  What is 'Barely Legal'?"  - Ali G